BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that I've had my first real glitch (save for the dreaded seat twist issue) with my 02 M5 after owning it for almost 5 years.

I went to take the car out for a cruise to the local pub as it was a really nice day out in Northern Florida. The car had been sitting for a few weeks. I only drive it every few weeks.

I got about 200 feet down the road and turned the DSC off & sport mode on. 150 feet more and I come to my first stop sign. As soon as I push the clutch in I noticed the car stopped with zero effort and the "release parking brake" warning come on the dash.

I tried pulling and releasing the parking brake several times, but with no luck. I drove the car another few hundred feet so I could turn around and limp it back into the garage, the whole time I could feel it dragging like the parking brake was on.

Once in the garage I heard a very pronounced tick. Lifted the hood and it seemed to be coming from the passenger side around the ABS module. I jumped in my daily driver and took myself to the pub to drown my newly found M5 sorrows.

I started the car a few hours later, and all seemed fine. No tick, no stuck brakes.

Anyone else have an issue like this? If so, how did you repair it?

·
Registered
11,551 Posts
As soon as I push the clutch in I noticed the car stopped with zero effort and the "release parking brake" warning come on the dash.
Because that came on, I would say glitch in the boot of the computer. The ABS do fail the way you describe, but the car does not sense the drag and decide you have the parking brake on. It looks at the electrical path and decides the lever is up a bit. Since this appears to be two unrelated electric issues I would not panic about it unless it came back.
If you dug deeper into the codes or errors depending on the diagnostic software you use you might find some errors suggesting the computer did not boot correctly.
The fact that the issue resolved itself after the car was given time to go to sleep and then do a new full reboot also suggests it was a glitch.
Really just don't worry too much unless it comes back, but you will need to do some short trips close to home for the next few drives just to make sure it does not come back. You will need to give the car say a 1/2 hour between starts to make sure it reboots.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've had a similar issue. I really never tracked it down to ABS ticking.

Not exactly the same, but I solved it by changing the DSC hydraulic and dealing with a completely clogged caliper. The brake fluid was seriously dirty and the calipers had crap ton of crap!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input guys. The problem went from bad to worse. The brakes get completely stuck on everytime you touch the brake pedal. If you let in sit for a few hours you'll be able to move the car, but you notice it's under a load in doing so.
Had it towed to my local shop that I use for routine maintenance on my daily drivers. Best they can figure is the hydraulic block is to blame because it reproduces the fault without the ignition on.
They won't replace it with anything less than a new part ($4200 according to them). It looks like I'll be replacing it myself with a "use tested working" part.
Anyone else ever replace on of these? Any special things to look out for?

On a side note, the ticking I heard was a collapsed lifter from sitting too much. I held it at 3000 rpm for 4 minutes & and now it's gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts