BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I encountered a failure of the DSC/DTC of our E60 530d. Driving slowly because the engine was still cold, in the third corner of the day, entering the highway, the car gave a warning that due to a malfunction of the DSC/DTC I had to drive moderately.

Warning light (of a switched off DSC/DTC) on the display was on and the message was also displayed on the service screen. Calling the dealer didn't deliver a solution, they advised to stop the car, switch it off and start it again. But that didn't solve the problem.

Testing on a parking lot after that informed me that both DSC and DTC where not functioning at all (not a big thing to me, I switch it off most of the times but my wife don't like to drive without it functioning in proper order). The DSC/DTC button in the car didn't respond anymore on that time. Also the direction lights had stopped working (switching off) in the way they used to do.

We were heading for an appointment on a busy day so we decided to visit the garage following our meeting. It was parked for almost an hour before we returned to the car. Switching it on and all the error messages where gone. At that time the DSC/DTC function had returned to normal, with the blinkers.

At the dealer they couln't find a recording of the malfunction but they indicated that there is a 'computer-reset' within 15 minutes of a power switch-off.

The car is back to it's normally (and full) functioning since then.

Guust

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sad but true. There are electronics problems in modern BMWs. :sad1:

Cheers, and wish you long time running w/o problems cherrsagai

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
///Mysliwiec said:
Sad but true. There are electronics problems in modern BMWs. :sad1:

Cheers, and wish you long time running w/o problems cherrsagai
Thnx ///Mysliwiec, but the car is on km 65.000 by now, so I'm not complaining.
It's more for them who encounters the same kind of problems. Switch it off for a little bit more than 15 minutes and the electronics will reset themselves if it's just a kind of 'Microsoft Windows' problem.

·
Registered
369 Posts
yes, there are electronic problems with new cars. but i would be glad, that the computer reset worked well. i know many other cars which do not have this function...

·
Administrator
8,801 Posts
Sounds like a Microsoft Windows solution...when you can't fix the problem properly just bodge a fix

·
Registered
152 Posts
Switch it off for a little bit more than 15 minutes and the electronics will reset themselves if it's just a kind of 'Microsoft Windows' problem.
Maybe electronic designers and programmers predicted the possibility of some Windows-blue-screen failures and added this computer-reset.
Hm, will we see BMW Software Service Pack ? :haha: :haha:

P.S. Guust: Did you have any signifact problems with your car. 65K km seems to be quite a lot.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
///Mysliwiec said:
Maybe electronic designers and programmers predicted the possibility of some Windows-blue-screen failures and added this computer-reset.
Hm, will we see BMW Software Service Pack ? :haha: :haha:

P.S. Guust: Did you have any signifact problems with your car. 65K km seems to be quite a lot.
///Mysliwiec,
No, the car is running fine and never let us down for a single moment. The only incident that passed by was in august 2003, on the return from our stay in Italy. We came from Italy, where it was almost 40 degrees, into Austria where we drove into a giantic thunderstorm with enormous rainfall. The temperature dropped to 12 degrees within 30 seconds and the rain sensor in the airco intake reacted to that with an air recirculation program. Due to all the moist in the air inside the car, the windows became misty so we had to stop. But they solved that by reprogramming the sensor.

The fuel consumption has decreased a bit over the 14 months of use, there are no parts falling off or not functioning any more. Top speed reached last summer on the tacho is just over 260, a small increase compared to last year when we did some runs on the Autobahn.
The next months will I drive the car on Shell V-power diesel only, just to see of the promised features (performance upgrade/lower consumption) of that fuel are true.

The only thing that pissed me off was the Professional radio system that we ordered. According the description and the dealer should it be able to handle music in MP3 format. But it didn't.
In the beginning the dealer told me that it would be fixed with a software update (as BMW Netherlands was telling them), but after six months there was the announcement that it wasn't ever going to be able to play MP3's.
In fact, BMW Netherlands told me that this option was never offered and it was due to wrong information in the early brochure (we had one of the first E60'sdelivered in the Netherlands) that we thought that the radio was capable of handling MP3's. So it wasn't them to blame and end of story to them...
But I wrote a letter to the CRM-department, explaining that they had provided the information to the salesdept. of the dealer, so I kept them responsible form the wrong information. After all this I recived a CD-changer for free as compensation for the non-working MP3 option in the professional radio system.
I think they did a fair job with that.

Guust

·
Registered
213 Posts
You will find the special diesels very good indeed. Much better engine response and less fuel comsuption. :D

Just remeber that it's also more expensive so the lower fuel comsumption might not compensate the higher price (although, with a 530d i doubt you'll be noticing a few quid + or -) :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
António Duarte said:
You will find the special diesels very good indeed. Much better engine response and less fuel comsuption. :D

Just remeber that it's also more expensive so the lower fuel comsumption might not compensate the higher price (although, with a 530d i doubt you'll be noticing a few quid + or -) :)
I'm almost sorry to tell that it's a leased one... But that provides me a cheap base to try the fuel out! I'll tell the board!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Guust, thx for explain, Until now I have thought that computers in E60 had been crashing all the time, . Good to hear that it is not like I was thinking ouich
BTW those 530d are only E60 I`ve seen personally. They are very popular here in Poland ( of course among new BMW :) )

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts