BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have just bought a 1999 M5. On Sunday the DSC, ABS and Speedometer all stopped working when the car was started. I turned the car off twice, the first time straight away which had no effect, then about 15 mins later. That time when I restarted all was well. I had just washed the car and wheels and was wondering if I had damaged a sensor as all these functions may be wheel related. has anyone experienced this before?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi

Your problem is most probably the lefthand rear abs sensor as this supplied speed info for abs, dsc & the instrument cluster. You will be amazed at what is affected by this sensor playing up.

The sensor is about £50 - £70.00 + vat

Cheers

Phil

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome to the board - let's see some pictures please. Chiaretto is such a good colour :byee55amg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Phil, If I get a repeat of Sunday's array of lights! I will be straight down the garage for a new sensor. Driving without the DSC was fun...for a while...!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just bumping this thread, my speedometer is not working, abs and dsc lights are on. Any chance the left rear sensor just needs cleaning or has this been a piece that needs replacing?

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Not likely a clean job, but if metal got stuck to it maybe. Odds are it will be stuck and get destroyed on the way out anyway. Replacement works usually.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Sailor might it also be the abs module needs a rebuild?
This happened to my friends 540i 3 weeks ago and unplugging the abs module took away the drive-ability problems and a rebuild solved it.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Could be, it is best to either pull the NAV secret menu up and look for the signal or use other diagnostic tools. If the sensor is not stuck in the two rears could be switched. Here in the salt and snow of Ont most likely candidate is the sensor as they usually are seized in the hole.

What do you mean drivability issues? That sounds very module related.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Could be, it is best to either pull the NAV secret menu up and look for the signal or use other diagnostic tools. If the sensor is not stuck in the two rears could be switched. Here in the salt and snow of Ont most likely candidate is the sensor as they usually are seized in the hole.

What do you mean drivability issues? That sounds very module related.
It was an automatic transmission so it came up with the trans failsafe prog and engine failsafe. Tachometer would work but speedo would be dead, abs, dsc, and engine temp guages would stop. The car would not shift and would only drive up to 2000 RPM. I unplugged the module and the car started driving fine again except that DSC would remain off. That's when I decided it was rebuild time.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks,
codes from Peake show signal issues: 75 - servotronic speed signal, 2A - speed input signal hardwired "A" signal, 87 - vehicle speed signal, 84 - DSC message timeout, 86 - instrument cluster message timeout. . . will order sensor today. Bavarian Auto has two, one is BMW OE the other is "JL Germany" . . . much less expensive. Anyone use the latter?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Thanks,
codes from Peake show signal issues: 75 - servotronic speed signal, 2A - speed input signal hardwired "A" signal, 87 - vehicle speed signal, 84 - DSC message timeout, 86 - instrument cluster message timeout. . . will order sensor today. Bavarian Auto has two, one is BMW OE the other is "JL Germany" . . . much less expensive. Anyone use the latter?

As I stated in a previous post on the subject.....do your self a favor and get the OEM part (the more expensive one). I tried to save a few bucks when I replaced mine, and ordered the knockoff (about a 50 dollar difference I think). I ended up chasing my tail, assuming that the new sensor was good and that "it couldn't possibly be bad". Ended up unecessarily replacing a $450 ABS module.

According to my indy, there a lot of poorly manufactured Speed sensors around.

Get the OEM version!

Reactions: Sailor24

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks,
Just replaced the left rear sensor, problem still exists. :sad1: Just reading through many pages of posts on this subject, seems that some are saying that it can be 'any one' of the wheel sensors, (?) or a ground problem or a module problem. I don't have any drive-ability issues, just speedo inop, ABS light on, brake light on, DSC light on. The codes I pulled from my Peake are listed above. I don't know where to go from here.

Do any of those codes point to a sensor or to the module? Is there a way to decipher the codes further? I have been lucky and not had many problems in a while so I guess I was due. I am going to try resetting the DSC and checking the grounds also will try again disconnecting the battery for 30 min. (all suggestions from other threads) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tom L.
125,000 ± miles

·
Registered
71 Posts
I ended up replacing all four speed sensors around the same time. I initially did the two rears, cause it needed LR for speedo, and RR since my cruise would only work above 45 degrees F. Once I finally got those installed, at least one of the front sensors was bad also, so I just ordered both. It's a simple DIY replacement, if they don't sieze into the hole. I had one siezed, which required drilling it out and that was a pain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
UHG, same issue as above- what's the fix????

Yesterday on the way to work: ABS light on, Traction control light on and speedo quit working. did anyone figure out how to know which thing to replace?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone knows what is difference betwen module with 10 solenoid and 12 solenoids? I replaced my bad ABS module nr. 0 265 950 002 (12 solenoids) with 0 265 950 001 (10 solenoids) and it works fine, car accepted it without coding and it shows no errors. Will erros accure while driving when car gets in situation when one or two of this solenoids needs to get activated?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts