BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Peter,any ideas on specs and pricing?

Might be in the market for one or two kits as well:haha:
The initial response from the owner wasn't promising, saying basically "no" to my timeframe and "no" to my request to move the pump to the driver's side and failing to give me a price for anything. I've e-mailed him back to see what the timeframe and cost would be of the existing design. Stay tuned. Best existing design I've seen. My guess is that pump and pan are around $5k.

--Peter

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Why do you need this? Are you pulling and holding 1+ G turns consistently on the race track?
Not currently, but I hope to be in the future. Plus I have so much invested in my engine build, I'm not willing to run the risk that either oil aeration/deprivation or fuel starvation causes catastrophic failure. Thus, I'm exploring safety mechanisms for the oil issue (basically use of an Accusump versus installation of a dry sump setup) and for the fuel starvation issue (installing a second stock pump with a direct line to the fuel filter/pressure regulator in lieu of the siphon pump). Would the dry sump system be a little overkill (which I presume is the point you intended to make with your question)? Sure. But so is a lot of my Beast. That's the way I want/like it.

--Peter

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
You and I had this discussion during the stereo weekend. The thought actually popped into my head (after finding about about your motor delays) of you going ahead with the idea. Kudos to you Peter, I say do it. Like you said, with so much invested, why not? One less thing you will EVER have to worry about......

As always, if there is anything I can do (fabrication) to help out, let me know.

Reactions: herrubermensch

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You and I had this discussion during the stereo weekend. The thought actually popped into my head (after finding about about your motor delays) of you going ahead with the idea. Kudos to you Peter, I say do it. Like you said, with so much invested, why not? One less thing you will EVER have to worry about......

As always, if there is anything I can do (fabrication) to help out, let me know.
Thanks, Tim. I agree and probably will do this at some point and have no doubt that I will need to call upon you for your world-class fabrication skills!

Best,

Peter

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Owner just responded, and pricing is better than expected. Pump, pan, pulley, belt and air separator unit (which is optional) are in the $4200 range. $3700 without the air separator unit. Probably will require a custom supercharger pulley. Oy!

--Peter

·
Registered
901 Posts
Not currently, but I hope to be in the future. Plus I have so much invested in my engine build, I'm not willing to run the risk that either oil aeration/deprivation or fuel starvation causes catastrophic failure. Thus, I'm exploring safety mechanisms for the oil issue (basically use of an Accusump versus installation of a dry sump setup) and for the fuel starvation issue (installing a second stock pump with a direct line to the fuel filter/pressure regulator in lieu of the siphon pump). Would the dry sump system be a little overkill (which I presume is the point your intended to make with your question)? Sure. But so is a lot of my Beast. That's the way I want/like it.

--Peter
Accusump works well.Dry sump would work well.
I have a Walbro HP355 LPH in the tank and 044 Bosch inline and a Boost a pump set to 20% .I Think there is enough fuel.
Important thing fuel...

·
Registered
272 Posts
OK Peter,
Coming from a life of machine shop experience, If you contacted them......and they didn't try to sell you one on the spot......
that means that they have done them in the past for some high dollar race teams probably, but have none made up, on the shelf
to sell you. (but they still have the programs to make them in their archives)
Set up and run time for only one unit is not profitable at all.........and making an oil pan from a huge billet of aluminum is going to have some MAJOR machine run time involved.........so the way I see it (for what it's worth) find out who ran these in their race cars, and this board is BMW crazy enough to know who the major players are\were that used E39 race motors in road racing.
What was the name of the 600HP NA supercar a while back (Ascari or something like that) Do a little homework and try to contact the race
teams directly that would have used the darn thing, (they have to have web pages, and are usually sympathetic to DIE HARD FANS) maybe you can even find out how well they really worked and if the teams have a spare THEY might sell you that they are not using anymore, plus any info from their experiences with the device. (gear heads are gear heads and if approtched correctly are frendly and faithful to one another)
If all this fails try the group buy tactic (you already have one or two guys also interested.........If they set up and built/sold five or ten units
it would be much more worth their time and effort to whip out a run of them.
I would REALLY try to get as much background and specs as possible (I see header exhaust and suspension clearance problems a BIG possibility on a steet car that really doesn't have a lot of room in this area......compared to a tube or monocock , perposely built full boogy ground up designed track only car.

Hope this helps, and ya they are WAY COOL, and would look great on that street missle you are building.
My $.02 opinions

Randy

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK Peter,
Coming from a life of machine shop experience, If you contacted them......and they didn't try to sell you one on the spot......
that means that they have done them in the past for some high dollar race teams probably, but have none made up, on the shelf
to sell you. (but they still have the programs to make them in their archives)
Set up and run time for only one unit is not profitable at all.........and making an oil pan from a huge billet of aluminum is going to have some MAJOR machine run time involved.........so the way I see it (for what it's worth) find out who ran these in their race cars, and this board is BMW crazy enough to know who the major players are\were that used E39 race motors in road racing.
What was the name of the 600HP NA supercar a while back (Ascari or something like that) Do a little homework and try to contact the race
teams directly that would have used the darn thing, (they have to have web pages, and are usually sympathetic to DIE HARD FANS) maybe you can even find out how well they really worked and if the teams have a spare THEY might sell you that they are not using anymore, plus any info from their experiences with the device. (gear heads are gear heads and if approtched correctly are frendly and faithful to one another)
If all this fails try the group buy tactic (you already have one or two guys also interested.........If they set up and built/sold five or ten units
it would be much more worth their time and effort to whip out a run of them.
I would REALLY try to get as much background and specs as possible (I see header exhaust and suspension clearance problems a BIG possibility on a steet car that really doesn't have a lot of room in this area......compared to a tube or monocock , perposely built full boogy ground up designed track only car.

Hope this helps, and ya they are WAY COOL, and would look great on that street missle you are building.
My $.02 opinions

Randy
Thanks for this. It is a very good idea.

They do have one on the shelf. If the customer it's being held for doesn't buy it, I can have it. Otherwise, they said they would not have it available until late December. The principal downside is that this would require deletion of my AC, as that is where the oil pump gets its drive. There should not be any clearance issues, as the pan is significantly smaller than the stock pan, and the pump is significantly smaller than the AC compressor. But deletion of the AC, when I keep the car in Virginia, is a major issue that I may not be willing to endure, particularly when the Accusump probably does 95% of what a dry sump system would do and is thousands of dollars cheaper. But I'm undecided.

--Peter

1 - 20 of 127 Posts