BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, it was the rear glass seal (replaced), now chunks out of the windshield seal are out. Entire seal is cracked. Have never had this happen with other vehicles. Is this common to the E60? 70k miles.

·
Registered
252 Posts
First, it was the rear glass seal (replaced), now chunks out of the windshield seal are out. Entire seal is cracked. Have never had this happen with other vehicles. Is this common to the E60? 70k miles.
It's common on BMW's.

BMW use an Eco-friendly Bio-degradable polymer on many parts of their cars. Our window seals being one of them.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Replaced both my front and rear window's. Happens on a lot of cars not only BMW's. Happens with time and UV exposure.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. The reason I posted was, this is the first of the BMWs in our family (330, 2 M3s ... models dated as far back as 2002) to have this problem and then to two seals. Thought it kinda odd given the family experience. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
As others have said this is a dirt common problem with BMWs. Though the newer ones are probably more susceptible due to needing to be more "green" which, has a bad habit of causing rubber parts to breakdown with high UV exposure. The really annoying part is once it starts they go to hell really quick.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As others have said this is a dirt common problem with BMWs. Though the newer ones are probably more susceptible due to needing to be more "green" which, has a bad habit of causing rubber parts to breakdown with high UV exposure. The really annoying part is once it starts they go to hell really quick.
Thank you, sir. Much appreciated. I have the extended warranty. Hopefully some of it will still be covered.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Thank you, sir. Much appreciated. I have the extended warranty. Hopefully some of it will still be covered.
If your windscreen is original you sould be able to replace the glazing in about half an hour for about $130.00.
E60 Front Window Glazing.JPG

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your windscreen is original you sould be able to replace the glazing in about half an hour for about $130.00.
View attachment 284049
Thanks a ton. Will call to order tomorrow!

BTW.......... we are originally from GPW. Our son still lives there and one of our daughters just moved back to RO.

Our son and I just got back from the BMW Performance Center last week where he picked up his new M3. Its Lemans blue with the competition package. Actually, he was a member of Crossfit in your neck of the woods before the one in SCS opened.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Thanks a ton. Will call to order tomorrow!

BTW.......... we are originally from GPW. Our son still lives there and one of our daughters just moved back to RO.

Our son and I just got back from the BMW Performance Center last week where he picked up his new M3. Its Lemans blue with the competition package. Actually, he was a member of Crossfit in your neck of the woods before the one in SCS opened.

Thanks again.
No problem, I am glad to have been of assistance. I'll keep an eye peeled for a new LMB M3; especially around GPW as that is where the Beast goes for a bath (The stupid Association has banned car washing :grrrr:). I hope that your molding replacement goes as easily as mine. BTW; yet another use for the scrubbing bubbles as works a treat it clean the glass and channel when the old molding is removed.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

wow.. you have 08 MY and your seal is already gone? I guess i am a little surprised. Other BMW have this issue and not just E60. My 2nd E39 had dry rotted seal but it took almost 8yrs for it to happen around 95k. My 08 E60 had zero issues with seal and i had almost 70K. I think garaging the car prevents a lot of the problem with the seal degrading over time.

Make sure when the seal is replaced that it is properly done. I had seal/glass replaced and guy that did it had no clue. Seal came loose at 130mph and scared the *** out of me. I think if done at dealer or other reputable shop, you should be ok.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow.. you have 08 MY and your seal is already gone? I guess i am a little surprised. Other BMW have this issue and not just E60. My 2nd E39 had dry rotted seal but it took almost 8yrs for it to happen around 95k. My 08 E60 had zero issues with seal and i had almost 70K. I think garaging the car prevents a lot of the problem with the seal degrading over time.

Make sure when the seal is replaced that it is properly done. I had seal/glass replaced and guy that did it had no clue. Seal came loose at 130mph and scared the *** out of me. I think if done at dealer or other reputable shop, you should be ok.
As you read, I was surprised too. But all the replies here seem to say it's not uncommon. The price you pay for greatness ;-)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would hate to resurrect, but where can I get the top piece locally? I have a 6" piece missing.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I would hate to resurrect, but where can I get the top piece locally? I have a 6" piece missing.
The dealer. Most windshield replacement shops should have them as well, but there is no guarantee as to the quality.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Buy from dealer the part isn't even that expensive. Would rather pay for a good part then have to do it again within a year or two because an inferior part.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I replaced mine with OEM parts, pretty simple job. To replace the front one, I removed one of the side windshield trims and replaced the clips that hold that trim also.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Which is why you should DIY

Most time consuming part is removing the old seal (which comes off in pieces) and cleaning up the channel for the new seal; the new seal just about plugs in with no tools...Do yourself a favor and buy some body trim tools off ebay (plastic butter knives of various shapes/sizes)...

Ive replaced a couple of these, just be sure to start in one upper corner, work across then down both sides; they are an inverted U shape...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will try and tackle it myself. I have a deadline of thursday bevaise of a car show at work friday. Worst case I find a windshield repair place and have them do it

·
Registered
21 Posts
I looked at a couple used ones that were pretty sunbaked... both had deterioration on those seals. FL and TX sun isn't kind to that stuff. FWIW, I use 303 protectant on all of that rubber (cars, boats, gear) - it does wonders blocking uv and keeping it new.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Before and after

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts