BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a fun few years with it, but this veterans day left a nasty surprise for me. Drunk driver flew past stop sign, went over a side walk, and a fence, and flew from a initial height of 6ft into the rear of my parked car. My other car (forester xt) was spared because the alternator went and I left at the mechanic.
I thought this would have been my last car since I liked it so much. Unfortunately sometimes we become a victim of circumstances outside of our control.
I don't think I'll find something like that again at a reasonable price. More rare color than the other popular ones, and this one was originally imported into the country by someone, and It lived down south for a good while. Only other color I have a thing for on the e39s is the imola red.
Man the E60s have dropped in price, by quite a bit, but there's something special about the E39 to me. They are considered pretty easy to work on and less temperamental than the newer stuff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So sorry to see this.

Please update on the insurance process; I am growing increasingly nervous dailying my M5 out of fear of being hit by someone else and fighting with my insurer over value. I now have room to pick up another daily and move the M5 to an agreed value policy (like you, I view the E39 M5 as a "keeper").

·
Registered
267 Posts
It was a fun few years with it, but this veterans day left a nasty surprise for me. Drunk driver flew past stop sign, went over a side walk, and a fence, and flew from a initial height of 6ft into the rear of my parked car. My other car (forester xt) was spared because the alternator went and I left at the mechanic.
I thought this would have been my last car since I liked it so much. Unfortunately sometimes we become a victim of circumstances outside of our control.
I don't think I'll find something like that again at a reasonable price. More rare color than the other popular ones, and this one was originally imported into the country by someone, and It lived down south for a good while. Only other color I have a thing for on the e39s is the imola red.
Man the E60s have dropped in price, by quite a bit, but there's something special about the E39 to me. They are considered pretty easy to work on and less temperamental than the newer stuff.

View attachment 932930 View attachment 932931 View attachment 932932 View attachment 932933 View attachment 932934 View attachment 932935
I have an E60 6MT and wouldn't mind having either an E39 instead.. painful for me to see this as well knowing the E39's have been going up in value lately..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So sorry to see this.

Please update on the insurance process; I am growing increasingly nervous dailying my M5 out of fear of being hit by someone else and fighting with my insurer over value. I now have room to pick up another daily and move the M5 to an agreed value policy (like you, I view the E39 M5 as a "keeper").
I wouldn't sweat it too much unless its super low miles and a garage queen. The reason I prefer some of the higher well taken care ones is that I feel more comfortable enjoying the car and not worrying as much trying to explain why my vehicle is tens of thousands more above the book value if something was to happen. It certainly limits how hard they can hit me.
About the insurance it's an ongoing process. Police reports are done through crashdocs now, had to wait for the report. Called her insurance, 2 days later when I thought progress was made they call to tell me she had just switched insurances, and that her old was was supposed to be responsible. So I had to call somewhere else and start over. They were supposed to send an an appraisal, got called from the person, they accidentally scheduled someone that was in state far away with the same named town, they told me they would let the company know to send someone else out. Called today and found out they hadn't dispatched someone else, so today they are assigning someone else. When I filed the report neither insurances were aware of what happened because the other person never reported it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very sorry to see this dude. Hope the insurance in generous to you. Any plans to buy an E39 M5 again ?
I'd like to own another M5. It's all depending on timing, opportunity, and getting the insurance money.
Winter season is upon us so there's no immediate rush to procure something now. If the right opportunity appears itself id be happy with another one. It's going to be a little more difficult for me because id be looking for something a little more pedestrian, and not someone's 36K USD trophy car. I think waiting for the right car is worth it. I want another southern car, these cars up north, the rust, at least getting a southern car can prolong the life of it by quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Rare color to bite the dust, sorry to see it.

My first BMW an E39 540i MT was hit in exact same spot but not quite as hard, it was totalled too. That woman also had issues with insurance as she had just switched or started coverage that day and they were trying figure out if she hit me before or after midnight or something. (Long story)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much would the crash car be worth? Their insurance doesn't take possession, so I have to either call the auction with the number provided, or try to sell it, but I have a limited time to do so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts