BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone asks, sorry, no pics.

Lovely car - first thing I noticed was the ride quality - sooo much better than my 530i. Doesn't feel especially quick at first, pootling round town in traffic and rain, but the power spools up deceptively fast when you get going and put your foot down - very much a linear and surprisingly steep-feeling torque curve - I was expecting the torque to be lower down the rev range, which is not to say there isn't enough low-end torque!

AMAZING engine note - really aggressive V8 roar, with an overlaid supercharger whine on a light throttle - otherwise, you can't hear it at all.

Only got a couple of chances to open up the throttle (i hate London sometimes) but it's plenty quick enough...

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surprisingly great - it feels smooth and well damped (though still firm) where the 530iSE's ride feels brittle.

I suspect 80% is down to the proper tyres (no run-flats) and 20% to Alpina's chassis gurus.

·
Registered
369 Posts
which tire dim has your 530i ?

i know rft are stiffer but i think the b5 drives on 19" and i guess your 530i has 18". am i right? and normally smaller wheels are more comfy than bigger wheels.

seems like alpina did a brilliant job with the dampersettings.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
9852147 said:
which tire dim has your 530i ?

i know rft are stiffer but i think the b5 drives on 19" and i guess your 530i has 18". am i right? and normally smaller wheels are more comfy than bigger wheels.

seems like alpina did a brilliant job with the dampersettings.
I think the 530 actually has 17" wheels - it seems that the normal high profile/comfy ride correlation does not hold for runflats - which makes sense, since they need to make the sidewalls even stiffer for higher profile tyres...

Also, I suspect Pirelli runflats may be superior to the older Bridgestone design I'm currently trying to wear out on my car...

·
Registered
369 Posts
hythe said:
I think the 530 actually has 17" wheels - it seems that the normal high profile/comfy ride correlation does not hold for runflats - which makes sense, since they need to make the sidewalls even stiffer for higher profile tyres...

Also, I suspect Pirelli runflats may be superior to the older Bridgestone design I'm currently trying to wear out on my car...
which pirelli tyres do you mean? does pirelli offer rft too?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
9852147 said:
which pirelli tyres do you mean? does pirelli offer rft too?
Yup - Pirelli Euforia - std equipment on some E90 models

·
Banned
664 Posts
All being well I should be reviewing the B5 this week. I'll be doing as full as test as I can manage - and lots of photos too.

I spoke to Ged a couple of weeks ago and we worked out that you were due to be testing it soon.

So was it as good as you were expecting ? and are you please you've got you're deposit in.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fastsaloons said:
All being well I should be reviewing the B5 this week. I'll be doing as full as test as I can manage - and lots of photos too.

I spoke to Ged a couple of weeks ago and we worked out that you were due to be testing it soon.

So was it as good as you were expecting ? and are you please you've got you're deposit in.
Well, it's a lovely car, for sure, and I'm definitely looking forward to picking it up in October (if only Alpina would confirm the UK specs for the E61 - I don't currently have a deposit down, but I still have a place in the queue...)

It surprised me in a couple of ways - the ride is so much better than the 530iSE (quieter tyres, too) and, to the extent I used the power at all (which wasn't much, in lunchtime London traffic), I was slightly surprised by the torque characteristics - was expecting more low-down oomph - instead, it's very linear, like a big tuned NA engine. Didn't seem to have the razor sharp throttle response of my old B8, but again I didn't really get a chance to have a good run in it. Very smooth and deceptively fast, I thought.

Was driving home from a 5hr endurance race this evening and wishing I had the B5 - first because it'll be a really relaxed really high speed cruiser with plenty of go at licence-relieving speed and second because it'll have the massaging and air-conditioned seats! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts