BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.. my wife and i flew from DC to northern NYC to pick up 'Sterling' yesterday. she was described to us as being perfect except a couple rock chips up front. we were both skeptical and prepared ourselves to 'walk' if she wasn't 'as described'.

from the airplane, we can see it had snowed. we arrive at the dealership and YES! Sterling Gray is nice... next the interior.. ostrich gray inserts.. YES from the both of us. we walk around the car.. no dings.. everything looked great! at this point, we were amazed. then we go on test drive. the streets were dry and very cold, the tires very worn (i requested they not be replaced) but we were able to put her through all 6 gears. WOW. can i break the DSP system? we returned and put the car on the lift. just sanity checks.. everything seems aligned, original, and in place (except a suspension sensor which we snapped back on).

we finished the paperwork and took off to Niagra Falls. did the quick Chevy Chase nod from Vacation and left. we decided to let the NAV system guide us home. by now, it is about 3pm. funny thing, the NAV system, set on fastest route, took us through the mountain-side. it was as if the NAV system knew it was an M5. the roads were very twisty and really fun. snow along the road, but not on the road. phew. it was a beautiful drive, until it started flurrying and the streets were getting a bit wet. the roads remain quite twisty, and getting more and more wet. temperatures dropped to 17F, and the sun was setting. we were getting a bit nervous of ice and tried to point the nav system to use 'highway routes' but we were over an hour away from a major highway.

after making it further south, the roads got dry, and still ohh very twisty. i then realized i forgot to test the 'sport' mode. to my surprise, the car was even more powerful!!! holey moley.. fuel mapping? timing? who cares, i started to really enjoy passing on the left, up and through those mountain twists. after a while, my wife tells me to stop grinning and drive smoother as she's getting motion sickness. but, it wasn't my fault. i think the moon came out and transformed me into something beastly. anywho. we continued following the nav system which took us through several small towns. i noticed a self-service car wash and quickly pulled in. it was 18F out, but i had to get any salt off her. hot soap and hot rinse and off we went. the water beads quickly froze to the car. if only i could make horizontal icicles off my side mirrors, i would look even faster. :wroom:

we got home a bit after midnight and _exactly_ 500 miles later. we love the color, the rear shades, the heated seats, everything. the car has endless power. insanity. i can't even tell which gear i'm in because there is torque at all times. 40 bucks per tank, but well worth it. right now, we're both very very very happy campers.

Thanks to all !!

James and Ruth and Sterling

ps.. is there a FAQ that answers the basics:
- oil and oil weight
- tire and tire size options on stock rims
- tire pressure recommendations
- alignment specs
- aftermarket warranty
- cool service managers/dealers in N. VA.
- brake pad options - stock calipers
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
It's a great feeling, isn't it. Great story. Enjoy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
I just love these first impression posts.

I'm glad you didnt hit any ice. I only had ice on the roads once while driving the beast, not something to look forward to.

All you have to do to get your questions answered is to do a search on here, plenty of content on your queries.

Chapstick would be a good investment since your going to be doing a lot of smiling and you wont want you lips to crack.:haha:

Sport mode button speeds up the throttle response, and does something to the steering for a better feel. I have come to learn that it also smooths out the shifting when your in sport mode. Engine responds more quickly during shift changes. Sport seems a better match to the car IMHO.

Enjoy your new beast, and get a Lidatek Laser Jammer and a good detector.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
If you get a chance to post a pic of the interior too...congratulations and enjoy your beast!

Most of your FAQ stuff will be found on this forum if you use the search feature. Aftermarket brake pads like the Axxis Ultimates are popular. Tire pressures near 34psi or 35psi cold are about right. Oil is best bought directly from the BMW dealer, since it is special blend for the M engine. Consider using the 10W60 even though it costs more. Since you are not the original owner of the vehicle, the extended warranty will have to be a 3rd party one rather than through BMW (e.g. AAA warranty).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts
Very nice - congrats :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Congratulations on making the move. I am often in DC with my '02 and personal advice is watch out for those potholes. Perhaps if they don't build the new stadium there will be some money to fill them :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,032 Posts
The beginning of a beautiful and rewarding relationship...an automotive odyssey.

Congratulations :thumbsup:

Do you plan to drive "STERLING" through the Winter?


:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
SpiderSense said:
OK.. my wife and i flew from DC to northern NYC to pick up 'Sterling' yesterday. she was described to us as being perfect except a couple rock chips up front. we were both skeptical and prepared ourselves to 'walk' if she wasn't 'as described'.

from the airplane, we can see it had snowed. we arrive at the dealership and YES! Sterling Gray is nice... next the interior.. ostrich gray inserts.. YES from the both of us. we walk around the car.. no dings.. everything looked great! at this point, we were amazed. then we go on test drive. the streets were dry and very cold, the tires very worn (i requested they not be replaced) but we were able to put her through all 6 gears. WOW. can i break the DSP system? we returned and put the car on the lift. just sanity checks.. everything seems aligned, original, and in place (except a suspension sensor which we snapped back on).

we finished the paperwork and took off to Niagra Falls. did the quick Chevy Chase nod from Vacation and left. we decided to let the NAV system guide us home. by now, it is about 3pm. funny thing, the NAV system, set on fastest route, took us through the mountain-side. it was as if the NAV system knew it was an M5. the roads were very twisty and really fun. snow along the road, but not on the road. phew. it was a beautiful drive, until it started flurrying and the streets were getting a bit wet. the roads remain quite twisty, and getting more and more wet. temperatures dropped to 17F, and the sun was setting. we were getting a bit nervous of ice and tried to point the nav system to use 'highway routes' but we were over an hour away from a major highway.

after making it further south, the roads got dry, and still ohh very twisty. i then realized i forgot to test the 'sport' mode. to my surprise, the car was even more powerful!!! holey moley.. fuel mapping? timing? who cares, i started to really enjoy passing on the left, up and through those mountain twists. after a while, my wife tells me to stop grinning and drive smoother as she's getting motion sickness. but, it wasn't my fault. i think the moon came out and transformed me into something beastly. anywho. we continued following the nav system which took us through several small towns. i noticed a self-service car wash and quickly pulled in. it was 18F out, but i had to get any salt off her. hot soap and hot rinse and off we went. the water beads quickly froze to the car. if only i could make horizontal icicles off my side mirrors, i would look even faster. :wroom:

we got home a bit after midnight and _exactly_ 500 miles later. we love the color, the rear shades, the heated seats, everything. the car has endless power. insanity. i can't even tell which gear i'm in because there is torque at all times. 40 bucks per tank, but well worth it. right now, we're both very very very happy campers.

Thanks to all !!

James and Ruth and Sterling

ps.. is there a FAQ that answers the basics:
- oil and oil weight
- tire and tire size options on stock rims
- tire pressure recommendations
- alignment specs
- aftermarket warranty
- cool service managers/dealers in N. VA.
- brake pad options - stock calipers
Wow, great story James...

Congrats on your new beast, and happy motoring....

Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Al,

i plan on driving her as much as i can, but have other cars to use during inclimate weather. will probably drive her a couple times a week to work only, if i have the will power.

can't stop thinking of those mountain roads, exit ramps, dotted-line straights...

James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Enjoyed your post! Please post some more exterior/interior pics as we don't seem to see many Sterling Grays on the road. :wroom:

Congratulations,
Charles

SpiderSense said:
Al,

i plan on driving her as much as i can, but have other cars to use during inclimate weather. will probably drive her a couple times a week to work only, if i have the will power.

can't stop thinking of those mountain roads, exit ramps, dotted-line straights...

James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
857 Posts
I love these stories :)

Congratulations on getting one of the most complete and amazing cars out there. I'm glad the bad weather didn't pose any problems to you, Ruth, and Sterling. I was at a car wash the other night, and at the exit, there was a bunch of ice from all the water built up. I COULD NOT get out of there. I was spinning tire and the car was moving from side to side. So I had to take the entrance way out of there.

Anyways once again, Congratulations, and enjoy it!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Right On!

My Christmas present is getting picked up on Monday! Just closed a deal on an '00 Beast, Titanium Silver, Black Leather, 34k miles; flying into Phoenix from the Bay Area tomorrow, meeting at the bank at 9:00 am, and getting on the road by 11:00 for the first impression roadie back to Norcal! I doubt I will get much sleep tonight!!!

Great story......I can hardly wait to get in my new toy and have the same great experience!

JRR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Congratulations on your purchse of "Sterling"! You will see why we (M5 owners) always have a smile on our face. I'm coming up on a year of ownership and enjoy driving my car more now than ever!~ It is a relationship that I intend to develope for many years to come.

Robert
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
Great story! Welcome to the club....

You will find that this board is a wealth of information and all about sharing.
You should check out m-powered.com for a more or less 'local' Washinton DC M5 group.

Lots of luck with your new baby :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
992 Posts
Watch if you are driving it back on the 10 through L.A. - lots of cops out near Blythe - but I did do 140mph on a stretch before Blythe (L.A. side)

SCORPIO
workitjr said:
Right On!

My Christmas present is getting picked up on Monday! Just closed a deal on an '00 Beast, Titanium Silver, Black Leather, 34k miles; flying into Phoenix from the Bay Area tomorrow, meeting at the bank at 9:00 am, and getting on the road by 11:00 for the first impression roadie back to Norcal! I doubt I will get much sleep tonight!!!

Great story......I can hardly wait to get in my new toy and have the same great experience!

JRR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,813 Posts
Congratulations guys and welcome to M5 family. You are a ///M owner now :hihi:

Next up.. mods but i warn you its a disease ! :rolleyes:
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top