BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran into a friend with a 997 S while at a local drug store. He offered to let me drive his P-car so of course I jumped at the chance. I let him drive my M5 and we took them out on a 55 mph 4 laner for a little spin. Now I don't know if he knows how to drive and I am not a driving school veteran but I did have him hit the sport and dsc on the M5. The bottom line is that starting at approx. a 15 mph role, the porsche slightly pulled on the M5. We went up to about 100 mph. Certainly not a scientific test but this was the first time anycar has ever pulled on my M5. If I were driving my car maybe a slightly different story but I don't know for sure. I know I shifted at the correct times with the Porsche. Although the 997 was very nice, I did not walk away feeling that I wished I had one. The M5 is much more refined and I guess I have gotten used to that. I am a daily lurker on this board and appreciate all the great mods and stories. If anyone with or has driven a 997 S, please let me know your thoughts.
:byee55amg

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
The 997S's are pretty quick machines indeed. Of all the Pcars, a 993TT or a 997 appeal to me, and it is good to see Porsche getting back to the formula that made the 993 a success for enthusiasts. Thanks for the comparo.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If you think a 997S is quick, you should see how my GT2/3 pull on the M5. It's not even funny.

·
Registered
258 Posts
400HP4DrSedan said:
I love the new look! Have yet to drive one though!

I am waiting for the all new 911 in 06'

Are you talking about the Turbo?? I don't think theirs another new shape..is there??! I hope not, i love the 997 look...

·
Registered
936 Posts
I recently drove the 997 and found it slightly quicker on it's feet than my m5. I think the difference is in the curb weights of about 750lbs. Separately I also drove a new c6 Corvette and I REALLY felt the difference across the board vs the M5. I guess fiberglass is really light.

I think the interesting comparsion will be the upcoming M5 vs 997 S vs Corvette Z06!:eek:

P986S said:
Ran into a friend with a 997 S while at a local drug store. He offered to let me drive his P-car so of course I jumped at the chance. I let him drive my M5 and we took them out on a 55 mph 4 laner for a little spin. Now I don't know if he knows how to drive and I am not a driving school veteran but I did have him hit the sport and dsc on the M5. The bottom line is that starting at approx. a 15 mph role, the porsche slightly pulled on the M5. We went up to about 100 mph. Certainly not a scientific test but this was the first time anycar has ever pulled on my M5. If I were driving my car maybe a slightly different story but I don't know for sure. I know I shifted at the correct times with the Porsche. Although the 997 was very nice, I did not walk away feeling that I wished I had one. The M5 is much more refined and I guess I have gotten used to that. I am a daily lurker on this board and appreciate all the great mods and stories. If anyone with or has driven a 997 S, please let me know your thoughts.
:byee55amg

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
kosmo said:
I

I think the interesting comparsion will be the upcoming M5 vs 997 S vs Corvette Z06!:eek:
997S against the new M5 will be interesting to see if the weight difference is enough to offset the power difference. Z06 is in a different league.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd have to agree with the above statement. I drove my father in-laws new 997 S from Providence to Newport. Wasn't really willing to push it too hard but I still love the acceleration on my 00 M5. Beautiful car, needless to say...if only I could be so lucky.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hmm, now only if we can put the M5 on a diet??? 500lbs would be smart!

Purkinjie said:
I'd have to agree with the above statement. I drove my father in-laws new 997 S from Providence to Newport. Wasn't really willing to push it too hard but I still love the acceleration on my 00 M5. Beautiful car, needless to say...if only I could be so lucky.

·
Registered
155 Posts
yes 06 probably more realistically 07 there is word Porsche will be introducing the all new 911. As the 997 was just a face lift with few newer things to hold up sales and hold everyone over for a all new designed car!

This is what I have been hearing!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
jajo said:
I think we all know that
Yes, but do you know by HOW much? To the point where on the freeway, a GT2 can disappear by the time you hit 130 on the speedo.

Some of us got to experience this about a year and a half ago when a friend brought his 993 Turbo with the Ruf Turbo R conversion on one of our runs. While some were at 130-140 in the M5, he was at 180+!!! :eek:

But, it should be comforting to know that the old beast can beat a Bentley Continental GT. Well, at least I did. :M5rev:

·
Registered
857 Posts
I can only imagine by how much a GT2 will destroy an M5. I mean come on, what's the 0-60? Less than 4 seconds? Yours probably definitely is.

Comparing an M5 to a GT2 is unfair in terms of performance. And with that being said, I really want one. But for now, the M5 will do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts