BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
My lease is up on my '08 M5 in February, unfortunately too soon for the arrival of the new F10 M5. I test drove a new E63 AMG twice over the last week and just didn't love it. Am I alone in this thinking? I know the car magazines love the new E63 and rate it higher than our current M5s, but given the choice between keeping my 22,000-mile M5 and getting a brand-new E63, I'd keep my car without a question. My car at this mileage and 3 years old feels tighter, more solid, more hewn-from-a-solid-piece-of-metal, and more responsive--engine, steering, suspension (Dinan Stage II).

I really wanted to like the E63 so I could try something different, but especially at $100K, I'm not sold. What do others think who've driven it?
Is it fair that you're comparing a modded M5 to a stock E63? Instead of buying a car like this, if there's nothing else you want, maybe look into assuming someone else's lease. www.leasetrader.com

You might be able to find one for just a year or so.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I actually prefer the newer E63 to the M5 as a daily driver. The 2 cars serve a different purpose. like verbs said, its not the power that's the problem... it's everything else. If you are looking for a sporty car then don't bother with Mercedes unless you're getting the black series. The E63 will handle on par with the M5 according to mags but it feels softer, more body roll ...etc. doesn't give you the confidence you'd expect. It's worlds ahead of the older E55 / E63 in terms of handling tho.
Bingo, although the new E63 handles decently. The S and CLS series are land yachts that don't handle nearly as well and I don't think he'll be happy with those.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.