BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lease is up on my '08 M5 in February, unfortunately too soon for the arrival of the new F10 M5. I test drove a new E63 AMG twice over the last week and just didn't love it. Am I alone in this thinking? I know the car magazines love the new E63 and rate it higher than our current M5s, but given the choice between keeping my 22,000-mile M5 and getting a brand-new E63, I'd keep my car without a question. My car at this mileage and 3 years old feels tighter, more solid, more hewn-from-a-solid-piece-of-metal, and more responsive--engine, steering, suspension (Dinan Stage II).

I really wanted to like the E63 so I could try something different, but especially at $100K, I'm not sold. What do others think who've driven it?

·
Registered
550 Posts
My lease is up on my '08 M5 in February, unfortunately too soon for the arrival of the new F10 M5. I test drove a new E63 AMG twice over the last week and just didn't love it. Am I alone in this thinking? I know the car magazines love the new E63 and rate it higher than our current M5s, but given the choice between keeping my 22,000-mile M5 and getting a brand-new E63, I'd keep my car without a question. My car at this mileage and 3 years old feels tighter, more solid, more hewn-from-a-solid-piece-of-metal, and more responsive--engine, steering, suspension (Dinan Stage II).

I really wanted to like the E63 so I could try something different, but especially at $100K, I'm not sold. What do others think who've driven it?
Is it fair that you're comparing a modded M5 to a stock E63? Instead of buying a car like this, if there's nothing else you want, maybe look into assuming someone else's lease. www.leasetrader.com

You might be able to find one for just a year or so.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think you need to look around the E63. On paper it competes with the M5, but in real life you need to look at a S65 AMG or CLS63 AMG. Those make a lot more power although they pack a little extra weight too. In real life though, if it is not the power but everything else that is a problem then none of the AMG models will satisfy that. Maybe a new 760i with the tt V-12 and sport package is good enough for what you want...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I actually prefer the newer E63 to the M5 as a daily driver. The 2 cars serve a different purpose. like verbs said, its not the power that's the problem... it's everything else. If you are looking for a sporty car then don't bother with Mercedes unless you're getting the black series. The E63 will handle on par with the M5 according to mags but it feels softer, more body roll ...etc. doesn't give you the confidence you'd expect. It's worlds ahead of the older E55 / E63 in terms of handling tho.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I actually prefer the newer E63 to the M5 as a daily driver. The 2 cars serve a different purpose. like verbs said, its not the power that's the problem... it's everything else. If you are looking for a sporty car then don't bother with Mercedes unless you're getting the black series. The E63 will handle on par with the M5 according to mags but it feels softer, more body roll ...etc. doesn't give you the confidence you'd expect. It's worlds ahead of the older E55 / E63 in terms of handling tho.
Bingo, although the new E63 handles decently. The S and CLS series are land yachts that don't handle nearly as well and I don't think he'll be happy with those.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I'd keep your M5 and get a Dinan Stroker before buying an E63, for sure. If you do get an E63, I've heard (but I'm not positive) that there are some serious problems with with the MCT transmission after you put some miles on the car. Definitely look into that if you ultimately decide that you want one.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
831 Posts
I test drove the w212 E63 extensively prior to my M5 lease expired.
The suspension and steering feel, IMHO, is superior to the M5. It is both comfortable and tight at the same time, pretty amazing.
What was sort of a deal breaker was the fact that the Merc does not come standard with LSD. It comes in the Performance Package for another 8700 dollars. I find that kind of silly.

I would have preferred to buy out my M5 and get the stroker motor, but BMW was not budging on the residual value of the car, which was way over valued given the current market enirvonment.
Of note...people are getting 20k off MSRP on the E63. Presumably because people are waiting for the next FI MB.

To the OP...how were you able to have the Dinan mod installed on your LEASE? Any issues with lease return?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Here's what I posted in another thread regarding the E63:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/gtboard-com-general-sportscars/146789-mb-e63-amg.html

It's a great car, I had the privilege of going to the AMG Test Drive Event that MBUSA held at El Toro airbase over the weekend.

We got to take a C63, E63 and/or SL63 on their 1.1 (or so) mile track.

I liked the car, but it felt significantly heavier than our M5. On the track, I still feel like the M5 is sharper, more agile and communicative. I'm comparing one lap in an MBUSA made track in the E63 compared to countless laps at the BMW Performance Center in an M5, though.

The torque on the E63 is fantastic. However when you're on a track, I think the M5 is more satisfying and forgiving. The E63 will break lose without warning. ESP Sport cannot compare to M-Dynamic Mode.

Sadly though, I think the E63 is better than our cars for daily driving. The near instantaneous torque and comfort is better suited for daily driving.

The transmission was very smooth and extremely fast for an automatic. The interior of the E63 was pretty cool (with the new gadgets and all). The car looks significantly better in person that in pictures.

What kinda bugged me about the E63 was the damn push-button park.

It's no doubt that the E63 is a great car. But, I'll wait for the F10 M5. If that isn't up to par, I think I'd get a face-lifted C63 AMG with the new P31 Performance Package and LSD and hopefully by then, MB will put in the MCT transmission on the car, over the E63.
However, the new CLS63 AMG with the V8TT could end up being very good...

·
Registered
655 Posts
I was in a similar situation. The lease on my 2008 actually ends tomorrow... I had no idea what I wanted to do. My residual was waaay off market and Ive heard and read that BMW isnt budging on these values. I was thinking of getting a 2011 550i M Sport, or a 2011 750i M Sport..... I realized how much Id miss my M. So I found a fully loaded 2010 with 5,000 miles... paid $75k and I feel pretty good about it. I'll drive it for a couple years and then hop into the F10 M5.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts