BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I see from time to time, guys bringing their cars to abandoned air fields and using the existing runways to race/drive their cars. Does this take place only in Europe or is this also prevalent in America as well ???
Specifically does this exist in the NY/NY area, if so where?
I am aware on actual reace tacks but no air ports or air fields. Anyone?
TIA.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I know when I was living in Denver, Colorado in the mid 90's, Stapleton Airport was used for many driving events. The airport was abandoned after Denver International Airport (DIA) opened. Stapleton was fun to drive on because it had tons of run off room and you could easily see from one turn to the next. I wonder if it is still used for track events??

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't think to many people would want to publicize any potential race locations, just in case any people of the law might be on this board. IMHO:)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Robert...

im ashamed of you man, dont you know who you should talk to about this kinda stuff?

I used to take the m5 out on the runway of my old airport in FL when one of my buddies who was a controller was working. I would have a hand held transmitter in the car and make a pass or two down the runway as long as the coast was clear.

best thing to do...

www.airnav.com

you can look up airports based on city and state and airport identifier. I will also talk to one of my buddies up at Westchester Airport in White Plains and see if he knows of any abandons or can look at a chart and tell me where they are or i might be able to even get you a few runs on their runways. Give me a ring tomorrow man, ill be happy to talk to you about this. I have a movie shoot tomorrow for me and the car but other than that, thats it for tomorrow.

321 960 1089

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Well Rob, get the current beast out there on an airport, and I dont think it would be too odd to get cleared for the option...
My WAG for the european airport thing is that many airfields were made all through europe during WWII, and many of them are not needed anymore. In the US many fields went up to train pilots, but not as many as were needed back then in Europe. I dont have any proof of this, but a WAG sends me towards that way.
Just get a cool controller Fast5, call yourself airport one, and ask for a high speed taxi test down the active...
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I know that when i got my first car back in the day when i was living in FL (it was a 1990 Olds Cutlass [more like Gutless] Supreme--what fun times in that car) but a buddy of mine took me to an old 3XXXft abandoned runway and I had a blast...i learned about brake fade that day.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
FAST 5 said:
Hi Guys,
I see from time to time, guys bringing their cars to abandoned air fields and using the existing runways to race/drive their cars. Does this take place only in Europe or is this also prevalent in America as well ???
Specifically does this exist in the NY/NY area, if so where?
I am aware on actual reace tacks but no air ports or air fields. Anyone?
TIA.
Although drag racing, SCCA & Champ car races are occasionally held at airports, these venues are not popular for serious driving enthusiasts. Ask any corner carving racer and they'll tell you they, by far, are the least challenging & fun. The total lack of elevation & camber change makes it quite boring. Why not go to Pocono, Line Rock or Watkins Glen, since they are nice tracks and handy to NY, NY? WGI is probably one of the top 3 in the USA.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Very true,

Airports have very little grade change for reason and they have very large turning radii (is that spelled right?) as airplanes HATE to turn at anything more than a slow speed.

WTG is a great track but I think that Robert really just wants to blast down a straight without fear of the authorities...although in NY/NJ the Port Authory controls airports too (greedy bastards!). In addition, its kinda fun to sit back and think that you got to drive on a runway.

Even though I have done it quite a number of times, there is something kinda fun about it, almost like you are taking a car and crossing into some place that it should could never compare. There is even something kinda fun about driving on a taxiway or even just a ramp just for that simple fact. Robert you should come down here to TX man...many places to take'em.

Robert---p.s. Here is some good reading for you so you can know what to look for. Welcome to the world of aviation...
http://www.palmflying.com/aim/chap2/aim0203.html

Most important.... is this one (not found on all runways)

It is a runway distance remaining sign... this one states that if you were on a runway you would have 3000' left of full strength pavement. There might be more "distance" availible but some of that "distance" might be a designed stopway that is less than full strength pavment.

These signs are only found on some runways designed for aircraft using nothing but their "instruments" under poor weather conditions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Truly it's fun to just give your M the spurs, but I think a track is more challenging and thus more fun since it's designed for CARS. Airports and other gigantic asphalt spaces is for 'spielerei'. This has little to do with this subject but I love underground parking lots (just love the screaming sound of the tyres as it echoes around :) )

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
1. When you drive on a runway, it is very bad manners to put down rubber by doing Zardoni donuts on the runway itself, especially at the ends of it, as this makes the runway slippery where good grip is most needed for the aircraft. Make the donuts on the taxiways instead, and for the benefit of other car maniacs never in or near a turn.

2. Aircraft loose a lot of metal parts on runways. On unused runways there is often junk at the edges or in the grass. Don´t count on anything to be clear until you have looked it over yourself at close range and low speed.

3. Don´t count on the voids to stop the car smothly. Grass is not a gravel-pit. At high speed the car can travel amazingly far if you should loose control over it.

4. If you skid sideways into grass, you can easily have a wheel dig in so the car rolls over.

5. Enjoy!

David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts