BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 M5 just got its first limp mode last night :applause:
Engine malfunction/ reduced power. Increased emisssions.
It happed randomly while reversing out of a parking spot. It is in limp mode the shuddering under throttle. I won't have a bt tool to scan until next week and I have made an appointment at the dealer for Monday. This is my daily driver though, will it be ok to continue driving the car even though it is in limp mode?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Ask the dealer if you can drop it off sooner for a loaner/rental? Usually they can accommodate if its a "reduced power" situation.

T

·
0 Posts
What is the mileage? A lot of the time, you can get this error from throttle actuators going bad. If you are stuck at home, drain the oil filter housing and look at the filter. If it is clean, then your limp mode is not coming from a failed bottom end. Could be actuators or a maf sensor at that point. Only other one would be the injector, but that is very random and you would hear misfires.

The oil filter housing will tell you a lot if you can drive the car any longer. Also, possibly buy a cheap $50 obd2 scanner at autozone or napa. I always recommend this to our engine customers so they can get a quick read on the engine to see if something is serious or not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had is scanned it is a misfire in cylinder 9. I have been driving it to work short distance and keeping revs under 3k rpm. I have an appointment at the dealer on Tuesday. I am guessing spark plugs/coil/injector...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts