BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new M5. I drive stick but now as well as I would like to. Are there any good driving schools on Long Island NY area?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I highly reccommend Skip Barber. No, not their 1 day program... the 3 day racing school. You can go up to Limerock in Connecticut. You learn in a Formula Dodge, which is VERY sensitive to throttle and steering inputs, and requires perfect rev matching on the downshifts. And this experience will transfer over to a road car perfectly. Good luck! Dan

·
Registered
216 Posts
Why don't you take the BMW driving experience which is included in the price tag of your new M5!?!?

Us north of the border is dying for the course and some of us are raising issues with BMW Canada to see if we could get a similar treatment. (Instead, we get a $80 picture book called the M Power )

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your are right, I will go to the BMW driving School. But meanwhile I wanted to get some lessons to take advantage of the car. I feel kind of bad, it is damn fast car and I can not take full advatange of it.

Well, anyway I am practicing and it is getting better. The car is the break-in period os I can not rev it up anyway.

AlbertM

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've been to:

Derek Daily (3 Day)
Bondurant (4 Day)
Fastlane Racing (2 Day)
California Driving Experience (Winston Cup Cars) (1 Day)
Apex Racing (Carting many times)
Jim Russell (Carting 2 day)
BMW CCA driving events

I my humble opinion I would suggest Derek Daily, Bondurant, and BMW CCA in that order. Derek has monitoring in the cars (Formula Fords), that makes the learing curve less steep.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Albert,

The Driving Experience was fun and all, but it's sole purpose was to get you familiar with the car and it's safety features, but very few of it's limits. It is NOT a driving school in any sense. And whether it be Daly, Bondurant, or Barber, go to a single-seater school and learn the dynamics... well worth 2-3k spent on a multi-day course. Dan

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all that posted.
I am definitely taking Skip Barber 2 day corse first and then might go for a 3 day racing course.
The car is just AWSOME, feels, looks, drives much better then my E55, I just love it.
However, I can not say it is faster then the E55.

AlbertM.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Last week on the plane out of Spartanburg, SC I talked to another M5 owner who had been to the BMW driving "experience" in Spartanburg. (I will be going July 7/8). He said BMW will be offering a performance driving school in a joint venture with Michelin at Michelin's test track about 25 miles from the Performance Center. This will be a "real" driving school with M5s and will be in the neighberhood of $2000. The school will center on autocross. That's all I know at this point but will ask more when I go to the Driving Experience in July.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts