BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A post from a UK E34 M5 owner on our Yahoo group (apologize is Richard has already post this somewhere):

-----------------------------------------
On Monday past I was invited to bring my E34 M5 along for a photo shoot by BMW Car magazine, with an E28 and E39 M5 and meet up with its new younger brother the E60. The feature will appear in the next issue 18th June - along with a back to back between the New M5 and the Alpina B5? the result to this will be intriguing. I have it on good authority that the B5 is very very good!

I am still trying to marshall my thoughts and impressions as the photo shoot was held at Bruntingthorpe, Leicestershire which is an old air base. The runway is two miles long and very wide so it is difficult to gain spatial awareness in such a vast space, there is a circuit of sorts as the perimeter roads are twisty before one returns to the straight.

But first impressions are often the best and unclouded by too much thought
process.

The acceleration is truly phenominal witnessed both as a pedestrian and from the driving seat. It made the E39 appear noisy and slow and dated - and we know it is not a slow car, as is common with E34's the power band is above 4k but then all the way to 8k

Visibly watching it accelerate on this wide and open space one could notice with each blink of an eye that one was witnessing something very special.

The sequential gearbox is not for me, too much choice in what mode to be in. It is clever but with so much power one can come to terms with a gearstick and clutch much more easily and just concentrate on the driving - for me it is too clever.

The turn in is quite extraordinary in that it does not feel so nose heavy as
previous M5's.

I personally find the new shape more and more appealling and the M5 wheels just provide the right proportion in that the wheels fill the wheel arches so nicely and I like the front spoiler treatment, aggresive in an understated way.

The brakes were impressive in fact the whole car felt very drivable a big car
with a small car feel. Autobahn driving would be the cars natural home.

After tearing up the runway for the third time I became more relaxed and noticed from the head up display that I was doing 165 mph and this was at about one mile and a third distance. It came as a shock to me as it felt so composed and generated a good feeling of confidence in just the same way as the E34 does at around 140mph.

Electronic maladies and sharp depreciation will surely be a part of future
ownership but one can only be in awe of what the engineers have accomplished in moving on the game in so remarkable a fashion - the power and chassis composure have left a deep impression and let us hope the rumoured manual version will appear.

As an aside a performance driving instructor was working with a handfull of
clients close by and came over to see the car being a past owner of the E28 M5. He blagged a drive with three others hopping in because he comes with a good reputation for his skill and abilities as a high performance driver.

On his first and only lap he came down the straight and deftly nudged the car
into a full power slide that lasted 2 or 3 hundred metres around the end curve, beautifully executed I hate to think what stress this puts on the cars rear mechanicals and 19" tyres but I wish I could do it..........

Richard Baxter

-------------------------------

·
Registered
213 Posts
Another glowing report :-D

Also, a question - What sort of stress would a power slide put on the cars mechanics? I've never done a "power slide" but I'm just interested to know, as I know some young people who think it's cool to do power slides round cornders in their silvias and skylines. Wouldn't that do some serious damage to the car if done too frequently?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zenith said:
Another glowing report :-D

Also, a question - What sort of stress would a power slide put on the cars mechanics? I've never done a "power slide" but I'm just interested to know, as I know some young people who think it's cool to do power slides round cornders in their silvias and skylines. Wouldn't that do some serious damage to the car if done too frequently?
Tires for sure. :haha: Over time it will of course stress suspension bushings etc. but I would doubt it is something someone would do all the time. My E34 M5 has over 120k on a its front end (I replaced all of it at 100k) with tons of track time with R compound rubber and it is holding up fine. I am sure the E60 will have a few weak points in the suspension if my wife's E46 is any indication of BMW's expertise in making good bushings these days (or ever really, e.g. thrust arm bushings on E34's).

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't think that there should be much damage from doing it.. as long as you don't hit something. I see alot of drifting where people are bouncing off of the rev limiter.. that is not good. And if you can build enough g's in a drift, you could possibly starve the oil pump in some cars.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
aren't the oil systems in the recent M cars made to handle higher g forces?

Thanks for the writeup. Very exciting!

·
Registered
41 Posts
If someone borrowed my car then threw a 300m power slide I would kick his *** - instructor or not :mad:

rob

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Great report, pretty exciting, thanks for posting.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
aren't the oil systems in the recent M cars made to handle higher g forces?

Thanks for the writeup. Very exciting!
Yes, I believe the oil systems in the M cars are designed as semi dry sump systems.

I remember reading about the M5 has been designed to handle high lateral g-forces that might starve the engine oil supply.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Not that this is nearly as important- but I also remember reading that the cd changer for the E39 M5 and E52 Z8 was built to also handle higher cornering loads! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts