BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on this then?

Personally, I got into wearing driving gloves after watching the film 'Drive' and also over here in Northern Ireland when the average temperature is pitiful, it's nice to have a barrier between the cold steering wheel in the mornings seeing as everything else is comfortably heated. I recently bought a pair very similar to what Ryan Gosling wears in the film and I love them. I don't know what it is exactly, but it feels like I'm gearing myself up for a thrill of a ride when I wear them. And that is what i enjoy about driving. The thrill of it. So gloves are just a part of my enjoyment. A lot of people don't understand it, and mock me for wearing gloves. But who cares! I certainly get a lot more grip on the wheel with them, which helped around the Nurburgring in my opinion.

Then there are driving shoes. I used to do a little bit of Kart racing a while ago, and obviously racing shoes are a must. I also have dedicated mechanics shoes too. But I also feel that for longer road journeys, a pair of driving shoes would be quite nice. I think decent driving shoes help with the comfort of moving your feet around the pedals when your driving. I put the seat as low as I can in the car, so my ankles are often quite bent to operate the pedals which brings discomfort on longer trips, something I think driving shoes will help with. A dedicated set of shoes purely for driving. I just can't find a good pair that i like. Puma do some pure driving shoes, even BMW M Sport ones, (Mens PUMA Motorsport Shoes | Mens PUMA Driving Shoes | uk.PUMA) but I'd rather have them with a bit more class and focus on driving rather than branding. I'm after some more track focussed shoes rather than simple leather Moccasins.

What do you all think?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I have a set of Puma nomex shoes and gloves for the track.

I like the hi-top version for angle support. The offset tongue/lacing also relives pressure.

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Gloves aren't really a concern where I live (never gets that cold) but lately I've been looking to get driving shoes for long trips or dedicated spirited driving sessions. Just having the round heel on the shoe makes a huge difference IMO. Admittedly I haven't tried any yet but there's a Puma store that's fairly close and I was thinking of trying them out. Not because of the brand name itself, but heard some positive reviews from others.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I've firmly set myself up for buying a pair of driving shoes now I've thrown my tatty leather slip-ons out. I've even gone as far as to find a couple that i like! The only problem is one of them is definitely better than the other, and the price reflects that! I don't know which to get!

The Sparco Time 77, gets some really good reviews and I particularly like that they almost look made-for BMW M Sport.....
Sparco Sparco - Time 77 Leather Sho - Murray Motorsport

However, a lot of people who buy the Sparco shoes, say they would buy the Piloti Prototipo shoes if they wanted to spend the money.
Piloti Prototipo | Driving Shoes | Casual Shoes for Men | Piloti

Do i spend the extra money and get the proven quality shoe, or settle with a more M Sport looking shoe but slightly cheaper quality?

Decisions Decisions!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thanks for sharing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts