BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have now driven my new M5 1995km in six days. Tomorrow morning I will do the 2000km oil service where they change oil in motor, gearbox and the rear differential.

It is a fantastic car! I have never had so much fun in a car before. So far no faults in the car. Everything works perfect. The oil consumption has been 0,5l in 1995km. Fuel has been average 17l/100km but could easily go higher (lower than 11,5l/100km is difficult to reach).

The sound from the car on idle is low ( a little to low for my tast) but when driving the car the sound inside is great. They must have worked hard to get this sound so exellent roaring inside. Which tuner will be first out on the market with a supersound system?

The engine is so smooth driving on low rpm (1000rpm -2000rpm), much better than the E39 M5. When you go to higher rpm more and more comes out of the engine. The sound changes and gets really strong at around 5000rpm (the first 2000km you should not rev above 5500rpm). The car is so quick even if you only rev to 5500rpm. After the 2000km I can start to use more of the power.

The SMG gear box is a huge part of the driving pleasure. It is so fun to drive on curvy roads paddling up and down in the gears and been able to have both hands on the stering wheel. I can not understand those who are against SMG and wants a manual gearbox. The do not know what they are talking about!!! I have had many M cars in my life with manual gearboxes but this SMG gearbox in the new M5 beats them all (including the SMG in my M3 E46). My strong advise for those who wants manual gearbox: You must drive M5 SMG before you have any opinion at all!!! You will love the SMG!

The D mode in SMG works fine and is smoother than I thought it would be. However I often change quickly over to sequential mode bcs it so fun to paddle u :byebye: p and down. I shift gears so often bcs it is simply so FUN!

The suspension is exellent and works well on all types of roads. I have been driving fast on fun small curvy roads (less chance to meet a police) and I have used mostly comfort mode and sometimes normal mode but sport is almost to stiff.

I have also started to use the M drive setting of the DSC. I have not tested it to all the limits but it seems to work very good. I get much more power to the ground and can drive faster in and out from bends.

I can strongly recomend the active M seats. When going fast on curvy roads it helps me to be "in place" in the seat and my passanger in front seat likes it as well.

The only negative with this car is that I drive way to fast to be healty for my driving licence. It is like the car says- Faster, Faster and I follow its wish!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Cool write up, you have been driving a lot the last few days, can't blame ya! :biggrin: :wroom:

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Thanks for the report klas! Maybe you are the worlds first M5 E60 owner that have driven 2000 km!

Great job BMW M!

I can also add that klas BMW history goes back long with E34 M5, E39 M5, E36 M3 3,0, E36 M3 3,2 with Hartge 3,5 liter kit, 850 CSi with Hartge 6,0 liter kit, M3 E46 SMGII etc. Excellent taste!

klas planned and paricipated along with me the M Euro Trip of 2000 as well as M Euro Trip 2001.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Wow great, I can't wait to hear how you like the car tomorrow when u get the oil changed. (Only max revs for short periods) :blabla:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Gustav said:
Thanks for the report klas! Maybe you are the worlds first M5 E60 owner that have driven 2000 km!

Great job BMW M!
Excluding test drivers, no doubt he is :D

·
Registered
943 Posts
I can only second your opinion on the SMG. How on earth could anyone want a manual gearbox in this car? The SMG is simply amazing!

The M5 is developed with the SMG as a main part of the total package.

It will not be the same with a manual 6-speed.

The biggest impression so far, driving this beast, is the total harmony between engine, chassi, steering and gearbox.

It´s a pleasure machine :M5rev:

·
Registered
764 Posts
How is steering effort/feel/path accuracy compared to E39? Any comments on passing acceleration and braking? Fit and finish, comfort of seats/interior, visibility compared to E39? Do you use lift-throttle shifting with the SMG, or are you "keeping your foot in it" whether shifting manually or auto? :flag:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Thanks for the write up. Truly exciting! :M5launch:

I think SMG comes down to personal preference. Im glad its a big improvement over v2 (which I thought was quite good for what it was).

·
Registered
943 Posts
First powerslide today! :wroom:

Was driving in P500 and MDM. 2nd gear through and 90 deg bend at 20 mph and flooring the throttle. Below 5000 rpm all the time :M5rev:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Cool!! Was the powerslide as easy to control as the testers said??

Oh, one more thing, how many km so far?? Already changed engine and transmission oils?? I can´t wait till you hit the 5000km mark and tell us about it...if you did 2000 in 6 days, maybe 2 more weeks :blink:

Cheers

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
VERY NICE!!! Thanks for the write up.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Great write-up! I can't wait to hear how the car is above 5500 rpm. Supposedly that is the most fun. Let us know!

Also, any pic's of your interior would be greatly appreciated. What combo did you get?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
I also would appreciate comments on the smoothness of the SMG. How easy or difficult is it to produce shifts in normal driving that do not cause serious neck bobs?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
MRichmond said:
I also would appreciate comments on the smoothness of the SMG. How easy or difficult is it to produce shifts in normal driving that do not cause serious neck bobs?
Yeah, that too - I want my passengers to enjoy the car as well. I'm hoping the SMG III is an improvement in this regard over the SMG II.

·
Moderator Emeritus
866 Posts
I've had mine for three days and already can shift so smoothly using the paddles in normal driving that passengers don't even notice the change, especially if I lift off slightly before pulling the paddle. It is really easy to get used to and to master. It can still be a bit jerky during fast changes under hard accelaration (not above 5000rpm, honest!! :nono: ), but that is only to be expected...

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Member klas have just finished a trip down to Hartge in Germany. There were alot more M5 fitting complete Hartge wheels and suspensions and bodywork. I will post soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts