BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I recently purchased 2008 m5 with 100k km on it. It is running great however I had a weird car acting going downhill on 1st gear. I was going to underground parking with quite large angle and car started kinda punching felt like smth wrong with transmission. I had checked in again and it only happens on certain downhill angle. If angle small car doesn't do it.

Did anyone else had that issue? Can't really find anything similar on this forum. Thank you

·
Registered
246 Posts
Assuming SMG? Could be a a lot of things...like clutch, cylinder, pump fluid, etc...

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
my drive way is a ski slope, and no issues going down hill, what exactly are you feeling.

SMG is confused as hell though going up it though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is happens not just on cold start. Its twitching movements. Like short jerking. Maybe clutch trying to slip?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Is happens not just on cold start. Its twitching movements. Like short jerking. Maybe clutch trying to slip?
Most likely from what you are saying...searched these forums or Google and maybe you will get a better answer...or take it to an indy shop and maybe just bite the bullet and replace it?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
This caught my eye and I've experienced a similar issue in my downhill driveway.

This is my interpretation:

In my rig (SMG) there is a "magic" speed where the computer isn't sure if it should engage or disengage the clutch when coasting downhill. Too slow and it's disengaged to prevent stall, fast enough and clutch is engaged. Depending on the grade, first gear will engine brake you enough that the car will slow down to the point of disengaging the clutch to prevent a stall. You pick up speed, until clutch re-engages, and then you find yourself in a herky jerky cycle.

I just drop it in Neutral and coast down to the end of my driveway, but YMMV in a parking garage. I don't have to worry about traffic so much in my driveway.

Cheers

Afterthought: In my mind the computer does a damn good job 90% of the time. I find it fascinating! But, in cases like this, there are some nuances to a manual transmission that the computer isn't necessarily privy too. That's why I opt for a Neutral coast in this specific case, primarily to reduce cycles on the components. ^_^ OK shutting up! Thanks!

·
Registered
207 Posts
In my rig (SMG) there is a "magic" speed where the computer isn't sure if it should engage or disengage the clutch when coasting downhill. Too slow and it's disengaged to prevent stall, fast enough and clutch is engaged.
Agreed. For me it tends to show up at the worst possible moments - when I'm trying to manoeuvre really carefully, but the extra acceleration from the slope throws the system off. I'd control it fine if I had a manual clutch! ...but the computer just seems to get confused in that specific situation.

·
1,556 Posts
Considering OP stated his car has x KM chances are he's already got euro software. Could be wrong tho, OP where are you located?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts