BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Accelerate hard in first, as I dip the clutch to hook second, I get this torque THUMP through the drive train. Quite annoying, surely not normal:dunno:.

What could be causing this, maybe buggered engine mounts?

I find the 1st to 2nd and even 3rd quite sticky and deliberate. You really need to use a firm hand to get it from one gear to the next. I loose a lot of time during these changes, cant be good for the 0-100km/h sprint.

Is this a general characteristic of these boxes, or again is it just my car?

·
10,459 Posts
not sure about the thump, but my 1-2 and 2-3 shifts need some finesse. I put it to near 150k on the gearbox, normal wear and tear, but my e39 is not any better. For me, being more gentle helps, gives the syncros some time to do their thing. These cars were made for the stuff that happens >3rd gear anyway... 3-4 and 4-5 is fine for my car.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My E39 changes are effortless. Both cars have almost identical mileage (the E34 slightly less).

I'm going to do an oil change, replace with one of the top of range synthetics - Castrol BOT 402 and see if it improves things.

There is no grating of the gearbox during changes. I'd just like it to slip into gear a lot easier, like it does at part throttle , also when going from 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I used Amsoil ATF in my box and experienced noticeable smoothness even now 40k miles later.

It maybe the box just needs an oil change as this service item can be missed over the lifetime of these vehicles?

My E39 changes are effortless. Both cars have almost identical mileage (the E34 slightly less).

I'm going to do an oil change, replace with one of the top of range synthetics - Castrol BOT 402 and see if it improves things.

There is no grating of the gearbox during changes. I'd just like it to slip into gear a lot easier, like it does at part throttle , also when going from 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Accelerate hard in first, as I dip the clutch to hook second, I get this torque THUMP through the drive train. Quite annoying, surely not normal:dunno:.

What could be causing this, maybe buggered engine mounts?

I find the 1st to 2nd and even 3rd quite sticky and deliberate. You really need to use a firm hand to get it from one gear to the next. I loose a lot of time during these changes, cant be good for the 0-100km/h sprint.

Is this a general characteristic of these boxes, or again is it just my car?

Hi!
Several things.
1)engine mounts
2)gearbox mounts
3)hardy disc
4)rear beam mounts (the big bushes at the ends of the rear beam)
5)diff carrier mounts

As all these items are made of rubber, and wear, not only by mileage but also age. I would replace these all (and some other small bits and bobs in the chassis)
Most propable cause for a THUMP!!! at gearchange would be 2 & 4

:cheers:
Sakke

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input so far.

I just replaced the gearbox mounts, so cancel that cause.

I'm going to check engine mounts and rear beam mounts next.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts