BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. Just bought an '03 M5 - 5k miles on it...I love it. But there is a 'thumping' under certain conditions that the dealer is scratching their heads over - They hear it, they are not denying it. In the words of the service writer, it sounds as if the drivetrain wants to come up thru the floor - Seems to be in the rear-center of the car.

Anybody know anything about this?

THANKS!!!!!

Rob

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Such a new and "unused" example, demand them to take the whole car apart if they have to. I mean this is BMW, they should know what's wrong with it. And I guess you are covered by the guarantee?

·
10,445 Posts
Can you give more info about when this sound occurs. What can you do to make the noise.

Wasn't a car from the M5 driving experience was it?

·
Registered
12,776 Posts
RMC said:
Help. Just bought an '03 M5 - 5k miles on it...I love it. But there is a 'thumping' under certain conditions that the dealer is scratching their heads over - They hear it, they are not denying it. In the words of the service writer, it sounds as if the drivetrain wants to come up thru the floor - Seems to be in the rear-center of the car.

THANKS!!!!!

Rob
Could it be as simple as broken rear sway bar brackets?? Simple to find and a known weak spot. Also, how about the rear subframe bushings, allowing a "shift" of the subframe under certain conditions. Also have them check driveshaft for end play. Hope any of it helps, keep us posted.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all...They just called me - They finally found it. I have to see it with my own eyes to fully understand what they are telling me but they claim the exhaust was actually hanging low / hitting a frame member...They looseened the exhaust at the manifold, 'twisted it' / raised it and now they claim it's solved...Again, I have to see it to understand it...We'll see...

Thanks again!

RMC said:

THANKS!!!!!

Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hanks - I posted the dealer's solution/answer a few minutes ago...Yes, it's a 'performance center' car which I was a little tentative about but in the end decided to buy it in part because of the warranty...

mottati said:
Can you give more info about when this sound occurs. What can you do to make the noise.

Wasn't a car from the M5 driving experience was it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts