BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the dilema, the support bearing is done. As I also need a back box should I replace the cats with free flow type along with the entire exhaust once I drop it, Also should I replace driveshaft or just do the support bearing?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
unesential said:
Here is the dilema, the support bearing is done. As I also need a back box should I replace the cats with free flow type along with the entire exhaust once I drop it, Also should I replace driveshaft or just do the support bearing?
Hi!
That is hard to say. usually replacing the bearing is enough, depends on the mileage and overall condition of the shaft though...
Let the garage inspect the driveshaft before making the decision.
I think the driveshaft isn`t that expensive, though. around 500$ I Think.

Sakke

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
unesential said:
I agree with Dr Sakke.
You need only renew the Driveshaft support as the two parts do not require replacement as a set of parts.
However, I would get a expert to check the wear on the hookes joint & Jurid coupling. If the cars done 150k miles plus or driven hard, it is likely that some attention may be needed.

Dealers are not known for their skills in this area( come to think of it they are not known for their skills in most areas....) so find someone like Proptec who also make driveshafts for racing applications if in the UK.

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
107k miles I can get one rebuilt for about 400. So i guess its the complete shaft. Now about hte exhaust.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
unesential said:
107k miles I can get one rebuilt for about 400. So i guess its the complete shaft. Now about hte exhaust.
The cats are efficient & give excellent flow.
If they aint broke..dont fix em.
The back box could be o/e or Supersprint are ok from what I have heard & more cost effective.

Regards
Farrell

1 - 6 of 6 Posts