BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to McMaster Carr.

Well I have been throwing codes 0B and A2 three times in a row so I decided to do this DIY. I first researched This Thread.

And I noticed a tool that would make things easier. I couldn't find it anywhere so I decided to see what I could piece together from the ol' McMaster and Carr. I came up with these:

5688A11 RATCHET BOX WRENCH WITH RETAINING RING, 12-POINT, 1/4"X 5/16",4-1/2"L

7389A41 METRIC HEX INSERT BIT, 7-PC SET, 1/4" SHANK, SZ 2MM-8MM, IN VINYL HOLDER

Then I got to work.

1. Lift up the car. (a lift has to be tonnes easier than trying to swivel around and do this on your back with the car jacked up.

2. Take off rear underbody panel.

3. Find the back of the block and stick your arm in between the exhaust pipes and the transmission. See pic.

4. Disconnect plug from bad sensor ( don't pull on the boot part. The hard plastic section is what locks onto the sensor.

5. Unscrew the 5mm allen head using your handy dandy short ratcheting allen wrench.

6. Put some motor oil on new sensor O-ring.

6b. When you put the new sensor in, make sure to pinch the top so that it lines up flush with the flange coming out of the block. This will line up the bolt hole and make it much easier to run the bolt back down without guessing and without crossthreading.

7. Reverse steps to assemble.

I have to say. If you tried to do this with a regular allen wrench it would take forever. I mean even with this tool it was a whole lot of quarter turns getting the thing on and off.

Well there you go. Hope this comes in handy. :M5launch:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
right on! subbed to this in my maintenance folder. good job!!!

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
How many CPS' are there? Two or four? ONe per side or two per side?
Four. One intake and one exhaust per side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts