BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By removing a plastic piece from the drivers side my seat now moves back a good 3 inches. This helps due to the fact that I am 6 4. Just found this out as I was cramped for a while. FYI

·
Registered
109 Posts
yup...it's on the far rail from the door (closet to the center). it's on the back of the rail - just pop it out with a screw driver or something.

[This message has been edited by csajl (edited 23 February 2001).]

·
Registered
890 Posts
I looked for it to no avail. Can you be more specific? Is it on the rail or the seat itself, what color is it.
Thanks
Bruce Peter

·
Registered
109 Posts
move the driver's seat to the front-most position. if you get in the rear door on the driver's side, you should be able to see both tracks clearly.
there should be a metal piece - about two inches long - in the track nearest the center of the car. (use the flashlight if you need more light) it just blocks the seat from sliding all the way back on its own...
it is rather easy to remove and should require all too much force to pry it out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The reason that the drivers seat doesn't originally move back as far as the passenger seat is due to the fact that in Europe the Steering wheel is on the other side and when the car is shipped to the states they install this peice that prevents the seat from moving to far from the wheel. (DA)Thus the Airbag will deploy and by the time u hit it, it will already be deflating and this is why this piece is installed. BMW does not want drivers to sit too far from the wheel. Believe it or not, my dealer told me about this and yes it makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I found it Thank you. I noticed that this seat didn't go back as far as my 528I. On long trips it bothered me. Now I'll be more comfy on next weeks trip to Pittsburg.
Bruce

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by Slvr 540S:
The reason that the drivers seat doesn't originally move back as far as the passenger seat is due to the fact that in Europe the Steering wheel is on the other side and when the car is shipped to the states they install this peice that prevents the seat from moving to far from the wheel.

Hate to disappoint you, but only the Englishmen drive on the wrong side of the road, so this explanation is a bit... funny

Best guess for this blocker to be there is that it prevents the seat sliding too far back when someone fiddles with the seat while driving: if your seat suddenly goes too far back, you won't be able to reach the pedals.

Just my .02 mk

·
Registered
385 Posts
Here's my take on this (someone else had posed this same theory, and I agree with it). They put the clip on there to sell more 7 series cars. If someone test-drives a 5 series, and can't get enough leg room, and then drives a 740i or 740iL, where they're comfortable, they'll buy the more expensive 7 series car.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Steve,
Our 740iL also had it on the driver's seat as well, so it must serve some sort of purpose. We had it removed a while back, once the dealership found out what it was.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I moved the seat all the way forward in my M5 and looked for a half hour for the clip. Do you have to take off the plastic cover, is it on one of the two rails closest to the center? The passenger seat goes back further than the driver's seat. thanks for your assistance

1 - 12 of 12 Posts