BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I need some input.

I've been noticing a big difference in drivers seat height between my '07 M5 and '00 540i sport.

When at Pocono Raceway, the pros taught us the seat height should be high enough where the top of your head should be about an inch and a half to two inches below the roof line.

I have that setup in my 540. However, the seat height will not go that high in the M5.

Rallye told me they will not touch the seat height due to any legal responsibility.

Is there any additional adjustment that can be made to raise the drivers seat?

Thanx,

Brett
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Registered
368 Posts
gez thats a first, usually everyone wants it to go lower ! Me included !

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The instructors are only partially right, in this case. B/C our steering wheels are not *very* adjustable, and our pedals are in a fixed position and non-adjustable, your seat needs to be in relation to your height, pedals and steering wheel. It is definitely not an absolute to have your head X amount of inches from the roofline.

IIRC, the top of the wheel should actually be pretty high up and a bit tilted. Perhaps just around chin level? I read it in the Speed Secrets (or something like that) book, which is pretty highly regarded for beginner/intermediate racing.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Assuming you're just gonna do the occasional track day....I wouldn't give it another thought.....just make sure you're comfortable....upright....and when both hands are on the wheel your hands aren't any higher than your shoulders and you'll do great.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
I already answered this problem.....

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
When at Pocono Raceway, the pros taught us the seat height should be high enough where the top of your head should be about an inch and a half to two inches below the roof line.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Did you mean to say the top of your helmet to the headliner?

Find a local business that offers products for those with back problems. They sell a wide array of seat cushions that should raise you up to the desired height.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys,

I like being higher in the seat, not just because the track guys recommended it.

I am higher in my '00 540i and would like to be that way in the M5.

Do any of you know if the seat can be adjusted at the dealership?

BB

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm with BBomer on this one, I'd like to bring the seat height up another 1-2" - mainly to get a better view of the HUD. I think most of my issue is the angle of the back rest as my wife who is 5"4 but sits in a more vertical position in the seat can see the HUD with no problem.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm with BBomer on this one, I'd like to bring the seat height up another 1-2" - mainly to get a better view of the HUD. I think most of my issue is the angle of the back rest as my wife who is 5"4 but sits in a more vertical position in the seat can see the HUD with no problem.
So...are their any tech/mechanical people with an answer for us?

Has anyone had their seat raised by the dealership?

We're looking for some answers people!

Thanx,

Brett

·
Registered
285 Posts
I do a TON of tracking (though rarely in the m5) and I put myself as low as possible...I dont ever use the HUD so thats not a reason at all. Why would one want to raise the CG of of anything thats on the track?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do a TON of tracking (though rarely in the m5) and I put myself as low as possible...I dont ever use the HUD so thats not a reason at all. Why would one want to raise the CG of of anything thats on the track?
The instructors at Pocono Intl Raceway stated you should be as high in the seat as possible, leaving about an inch and a half of ceiling clearance to your helmut.
This way you get the best view of what's out in front of you.
And forget about tracking - personally I like being higher in the seat while driving public roads for the same reason - better sight ability!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Guys,

Do any of you know if the seat can be adjusted at the dealership?

BB
I would like to have the steering wheel go lower and towards the driver 1-2 additional inches. My S.A. gave me the same answer on both seat and wheel, No. In the States, I think product liability and the safety nazis prohibit it.

That said, I believe the seat's positioning in its anchoring tracks can be adjusted for your needs, just not officially by a dealership.

It would require fabricating either a new set of anchoring tracks or adapters to raise the seat higher within the range of the seat motors. A seat position outside the factory range, especially if the seat was closer to the steering wheel, might cause an air bag release to hit the driver in a dangerous manner. The seat belt might drape across your torso in an unsafe manner. In both examples the important word is might.

If you really want it higher and are willing to assume any new risk, find a good independent mechanic to make the modifications. Don't forget to have the modification removed before you sell the car. In the land of million dollar awards for hot coffee spills and ladders covered in warning stickers, protect you @ss from what the next owner might do.

You assume liability for any injury that might occur.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The instructors at Pocono Intl Raceway stated you should be as high in the seat as possible, leaving about an inch and a half of ceiling clearance to your helmut.
This way you get the best view of what's out in front of you.
And forget about tracking - personally I like being higher in the seat while driving public roads for the same reason - better sight ability!

I dunno, but after a point, one doesnt need much space to see whats going on...but for novice trackers, I can definitely see where the extra viewing space is a boon. But if you get into anything serious, then youll see that you may be glancing just inches above the steering wheel...haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts