BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything about this car is fast, it drinks gasoline fast, it burns oil fast, it racks ups tickets fast, it empties my wallet, BUT, the driver's windows is moving in slow motion nowadays. It started happening maybe a couple months back, take about 1.5x to raise/lower compared to passenger side. What can be the possible culprits? battery, ignition switch, GM module, window regulator?? Gurus who've BTDT, what say you???:1zhelp:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Hate to say it, but its probably a window regulator on its way out.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You can also try the silicon spray on the rubber where the window slides through, it helped my Honda, :biggrin: but the window regulator is probably right.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hate to say it, but its probably a window regulator on its way out.
Is window regulator that big a deal? I just gotta re-pull the vapor barrior/weather welding again.

You can also try the silicon spray on the rubber where the window slides through, it helped my Honda, :biggrin: but the window regulator is probably right.
The E39 has felt linings inside the glass rails, I doubt its a friction issue. Looks like windows reg it is, will start tearing into it.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
My buddy's 530i showed the same symptoms. I told him window regulator, lets fix it now... he said nah, lets wait. Waited and waited. Rainy day, hes at a dunkin donuts drive through, rolls it down... orders, tries to roll back up to keep rain out... won't go up. I wasn't there but I am sure my voice was in his head saying "I told you so..."

The window regulators are a hugely common failure point on these cars. Its not a big deal to replace it. But if you can, stick with OEM because aftermarket just does not have the same reliability. You may get the regulator out and notice an obvious problem with it be it the "sleds" or the gears. You may be able to mend it temporarily but if all this time of going slow wasn't because the motor was bad, then it was going slow because it was binding which was putting extra stress on the motor. Can't tell you how many times I've heard of people taking it out, fixing it, putting it back in, and it failing a month later.

From my personal experience, regardless of how the regulator looks or if its "fixable" its best to replace.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I was grabbing a coffee and the same thing happened. I had to drive down the highway at speed with the window half down. wouldn't go higher.
When I got to work, I forced it up to provide some false security. On the way home, it would keep falling down from fully up on the highway, and at one point, started wedging outward into the air . . . scared me a bit.

Both times I've replaced my front regulators, there was no advanced symptoms, so I can't speak to yours. But these regulators both failed at two points. One is where the cable within the loom/sheath exit where the motor bolts up to the regulator; there is a spring type mechanism to absorb some of the tension and shock there. The cable and sheath unit was no longer properly fastened to the housing of the interface box of the motor and regulator cables. Second, I always noticed the the plastic pulleys had fractures and were not up to snuff.

Anyhow, the regulators are not rails and a gear like many, but cables and pulleys. They both have failed similarly, but neither of mine with advanced notice. From what I read, the window motors are pretty robust and don't fail as often, but the regulators on the other hand. . . well, 2 down, 2 to go!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Is window regulator that big a deal? I just gotta re-pull the vapor barrior/weather welding again.

The E39 has felt linings inside the glass rails, I doubt its a friction issue. Looks like windows reg it is, will start tearing into it.
That is right. My bad. Forgot it was felt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts