BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
00 E39 M5; 07 E64 M6; 11 E70 X535D
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I washed my car over the weekend and when I got back in I noticed there is water coming from my driver side tweeter speaker. What seal might be broken to cause this? It is and E64 M6.

Thank you for your help.

Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
The seal above the speaker looks good. The water looks like it is coming in from behind the plastic so that would mean it is running down from the window seal or from the seal on the mirror housing.
do you hear wind noise at speed?
When I use a pressure washer I go with a very light touch on all of the window and door seals as a direct stream from the pressure washer can easily compromise the seals.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have this issue occasionally too. I get water pooling behind the right front seat. I can't see any obvious damage to the door frame seal. How else might it be getting in?

·
Registered
00 E39 M5; 07 E64 M6; 11 E70 X535D
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The seal above the speaker looks good. The water looks like it is coming in from behind the plastic so that would mean it is running down from the window seal or from the seal on the mirror housing.
do you hear wind noise at speed?
When I use a pressure washer I go with a very light touch on all of the window and door seals as a direct stream from the pressure washer can easily compromise the seals.
I just started to hear wind noise yesterday.

Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Chris, I would try sitting in the car while someone is outside with a garden hose and try spraying water on different parts of the window trim to see if you can get It to leach then you can pin point the location. My bet would be the side mirror housing trim.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had a water leak when I first purchased my car and it turned out to be a combination of the seal around the door frame/window and the channel along the roof. Mine is a coupe though, so I can't say how this works on the convertible cars, however there is a process to adjust the window laterally in the door frame, which essentially makes it more or less snug.

The fact that you hear wind noise leads me to believe that your seals are probably getting spongy (usually happens on the driver side first as that door sees way more cycling).

You may be able to adjust the tilt of the window more snug, but I would probably look at replacing the seal as you will be surprised how much of a difference a new one makes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts