BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the SMG always defaults to D1 on start up. Unless I'm doing it wrong, D1 changes too early for my taste and makes the car gutless. Can I make it default to say D4 on startup? That would be more useful. I know I can use the M button for this but a decent default setting would be nice too.

Speaking of startup, can I get rid of the disclaimer screen on I-drive? That is a **** nuisance!

5 days and 1000km since picking the car up, I'm loving it overall. But I'm still not sure if all the optional settings are a boon or a curse.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I looked in my downloaded M5 manual and found nothing about how to change the defaults. I'm sure there is a way to have the set up you desire upon start up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
AbruzziBoy said:
I looked in my downloaded M5 manual and found nothing about how to change the defaults. I'm sure there is a way to have the set up you desire upon start up.
Sorry no help on the drive logic.Where were you able to download M 5 owners manual . Thanks Crg

·
Registered
383 Posts
I found this a bit annoying as well.

All I do now is either tap the lever an extra bit to the right to select S when moving from neutral after starting, or change down on either control and that resumes the last S mode used. Change down as D1 starts in second gear.

·
Registered
213 Posts
it's posted on this board somewhere IIRC. Do a search for it.

If that fails, you can contact me and I'll send it directly.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The manual says Drivelogic program 1 is selected each time the car is started (page 50). You can program a selection into the M button, however.

·
Registered
26 Posts
mhh said:
It seems the SMG always defaults to D1 on start up. Unless I'm doing it wrong, D1 changes too early for my taste and makes the car gutless. Can I make it default to say D4 on startup? That would be more useful. I know I can use the M button for this but a decent default setting would be nice too.
Is this correct? Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I assumed SMG III was similar to SMG II which always started the car in the program you were last using (unless of course you were in S6, in which case it would start in S5). I'm suprised that this is the case. Can someone confirm?

·
Registered
321 Posts
FaastM5 said:
Can someone confirm?
As the manual says - it ALWAYS starts in D1. No way to change this as far as I can find. You can't program it into M mode either as that is only for S program I believe.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
What happens if you engage S mode right after start? Does it necessarily engage S1 or the last S mode used?

·
Registered
321 Posts
MRichmond said:
What happens if you engage S mode right after start? Does it necessarily engage S1 or the last S mode used?
The last S mode used is saved across engine shutdown and startup. It's only D mode that starts in D1

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you put the ignition key into position 2 then change the gears to D4 it memorises the selection. Turn off the ignition then turn back on and it ill show D4 again.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Nipper said:
If you put the ignition key into position 2 then change the gears to D4 it memorises the selection. Turn off the ignition then turn back on and it ill show D4 again.
Cool - I'll try it and see if it works for me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nipper said:
Please describe how this works. When I read it I immediately went down to the garage to try it but was unsuccessfull. It alway defaults to D1 with me. However switching to S it remembers the last setting used.

BTW Sydl, it is possible to program D modes unde the M-button.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Zenith said:
it's posted on this board somewhere IIRC. Do a search for it.

If that fails, you can contact me and I'll send it directly.
I've tried searching to no avail. If you believe the OM, it isn't possible to change the default setting for D. :grrrrr:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Nipper said:
Nope - didn't work for me. Here's what I did:
1. Engine off, insert key
2. Turn key to postition 2 (the notch before starting the engine)
3. Press mode to D3
4. Turn key to position 0
5. Remove key
then
6. Insert key
7. Move gear stick to N, start engine
8. move gear stick to D - it's in D1
Nipper - can you post the instructions so we can follow?

·
Registered
110 Posts
sydl said:
Nope - didn't work for me. Here's what I did:
1. Engine off, insert key
2. Turn key to postition 2 (the notch before starting the engine)
3. Press mode to D3
4. Turn key to position 0
5. Remove key
then
6. Insert key
7. Move gear stick to N, start engine
8. move gear stick to D - it's in D1
Nipper - can you post the instructions so we can follow?
Anyone get this to work?

·
Registered
829 Posts
EDC and DSC modes are saves but Power and Transmission always referts back to default on startup. I guess they did this so the electronics go easy on the engine when it's cold.

·
Registered
321 Posts
frylord said:
EDC and DSC modes are saves but Power and Transmission always referts back to default on startup. I guess they did this so the electronics go easy on the engine when it's cold.
Which is a stupid reason because the first thing owners do is set it to D4 after starting the car. If that was the real reason then they would lock out D2-D5 until the engine was warm.

·
Registered
829 Posts
sydl said:
Which is a stupid reason because the first thing owners do is set it to D4 after starting the car. If that was the real reason then they would lock out D2-D5 until the engine was warm.
I thought of that aswell but would you really accept such a thing? Some of the electronics in the car are intrusive as it is would you really accept not being able to select higher shift programs just because BMW sais you can't.

·
Registered
321 Posts
frylord said:
I thought of that aswell but would you really accept such a thing? Some of the electronics in the car are intrusive as it is would you really accept not being able to select higher shift programs just because BMW sais you can't.
I was just making a comment that if a tech/bmw told me that you can't save the D program across engine off and on is because they don't want the car to start in anything but D1 when it is cold is a BS answer. You can flick it to S5 straight away.

The fact that it doesn't save D settings is just crap.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts