BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I need to take the rear diff out of my car because the pinion seal is leaking pretty bad. I also would like to replace the shaft seals for PM and am thinking of replacing the bearings. Since BMW doesn't list parts for rebuilding these how can I find out what bearings to get, crush sleeve, etc? I want to pull it apart, inspect the LSD unit, and replace the bearings since the car has 120k on in and I dont want to have to take it out of the car twice. I also have a bearing noise in my car at speeds over 45 or 55, which I think is coming from the trans, (since the noise seems to come from the center console area and not behind me) but while I'm in here....

So, as far as parts from BMW I can get seals, should I just get the "kit"?

33 10 2 229 119

I also have a clunk in the rear if I dont have a smooth shift. Theres a dull "thud". I am thinking I will replace the bushings while the rear end is out.

33 17 1 093 008 x2

33 17 1 090 389 x1

Any other suggestions for the clunk?

Recap:

1.) Where can I find internal parts (and tolerances) for our diff's.

2.) Am I covering all my bases with the seal kit to reseal the diff.

3.) Are these all the "rear diff" bushings? any others I may want to replace?

Open to friendly thoughts and suggestions. As always thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The clunk is from one of the differential mounts. My front one is shot, already ordered parts to reseal the diff and new mounts. I didn't get the kit, but got them individually.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Viper.

Anyone have thoughts on the rest? Anyone rebuild a rear diff or transmission on here?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I did rebuild my diff, which was out of a E32 but is very similar to the M5 diff. I believe they use the same bearings and specs. What I would say is as you take it apart, measure the specs and note them down eg backlash, pinion preload, carrier preload and various torque specs. I have these specs written but there in my other computer which I am away from at the moment.

The bearing part numbers will be stamped on the current bearings so those are easy to identify. you can easily get replacement bearings from Timken. Mind you, I doubt you need to replace your bearings.

old pic from my rebuild

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, I did a search typed "rear differential rebuild" and did not get this post coming up! Thanks for the link, it is helpful to see the way the BMW diff is designed/assembled. I have rebuilt GM 10 bolt rears, Borg Warner 9 bolt's, and plenty of Ford Explorer rears, but no BMW's.

This car is currently a DD for me so I need to accumulate all possible parts prior to dissassemble because I want to do it over a weekend. Right now all I have is the diff fluid.

OPINIONS PLEASE:
Should I just replace my seals, change the fluid, and replace the bushings and save rebuilding it for 3 years down the road if the bearings get noisy later in life? I have no reason to suspect any bad components inside the rear right now. She locks good and like I stated earlier, I don't think I have any noises.

A list of part numbers and any specs would still be helpful. I will print them out and add it to my technical info file.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts