BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The problem started about a month ago, I was running about 35 mph in 4th gear and needed to change lanes quickly and geared down into 2nd gear a let the clutch out rather quickly and heard the loud bang come from the drive shaft and differential area. Every since then if I maintain a load on the drive line there is not a problem, but when I engage the clutch to change gears (releasing the load) and then release the clutch (engaging the load) I hear a simuliar bang or knock in the driveline. If I have it in gear, let off the gas and then get back on the gas I hear it as well. It only happens when loading or unloading the driveline.

To give you an idea of the condition and maintainance on the car: I just recently replace the clutch (with 135,000 orginial miles on it) and the suspension with a PSS9 kit, new mounting hardware, new guibo. It has 145,000 miles on it now and I take care of the car and rearly drive it hard. I have never even taking the car to an indy, it has always been serviced by my local dealer from day one, because I want to make sure it receives the best. They even install the PSS9 kit.

I have the beastmaster sway bar brackets, so it's not that common issue.

Could this be an issue with the subframe? Bushings? Bearings? Tranny mounts?

Is there a way I can tell prior to taking it to the dealer for the repair?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
No expert here, however, my first guess would possibly be the driveshaft center bearing and/or support.

Only real way to verify this it to pull the underbelly panel?? and inspect the bearing and mouning area.

Could also be rear trans mounts as well? Not sure how they hold up. I am assuming if the rear trans mounts break, you would see the shifter moving around a bit more than expected??

I am sure other experts here may have some other suggestions.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No vibrations in the shifter or anywhere that I've noticed. It feels like a mount or bushing issue.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Differential bushes come to my mind....

+1

I have the same issue, I bought the bushings, (3) and plan to install them when I rebuild the diff next month. I'm sure you will take care of yours sooner, but when I do mine I will let you know if it solved the problem.

Reactions: CMBeamerM5

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1

I have the same issue, I bought the bushings, (3) and plan to install them when I rebuild the diff next month. I'm sure you will take care of yours sooner, but when I do mine I will let you know if it solved the problem.

Thanks. I'll let you know what the end results are and what it took to fix it if it is not the differential bushings.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I appreciate it, I am subscribed to the topic so I don't forget and can see the updates...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts