BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had the guibo replaced to remedy this and still the same problems. the tech said the rear diff. bushings are shot and it is going to be $1,000 in labor to replace them. anyone else had to do this? how much did it cost? thanks guys!
T

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Transmission mounts maybe? Very inexpensive. Had mine replaced when guibo and clutch were done.

Steve
00 M5

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Funny, I just had my guibo and all the diff mounts replaced in the last week for the same reason (driveline clunk...). It was ~$1600. But it definitely fixed the problem. I imagine it was the diff mounts more than the guibo that was the real source of the clunking.

I also had the transmission mounts replaced, upgraded to Rogue. Much better than OEM, well worth the $45.

M

·
Registered
143 Posts
Funny, I just had my guibo and all the diff mounts replaced in the last week for the same reason (driveline clunk...). It was ~$1600. But it definitely fixed the problem. I imagine it was the diff mounts more than the guibo that was the real source of the clunking.

I also had the transmission mounts replaced, upgraded to Rogue. Much better than OEM, well worth the $45.

M
The "clunk" you would hear...is that when you would depress the clutch, when you are in say 1st gear and just taking off?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Shifting gears, generally 1st and 2nd, or any hard shifts (6th --> 4th, etc.) I also had pretty bad wheel hop if I took off really fast, and that's gone now as well.

M

·
Registered
143 Posts
Shifting gears, generally 1st and 2nd, or any hard shifts (6th --> 4th, etc.) I also had pretty bad wheel hop if took off really fast, and that's gone now as well.

M
Then what I must have. I recently starting hearing, like a clanking noise by the drive shaft. How did you know the diff mounts were bad?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I didn't, but I could tell something wasn't right. I had to take it in for an oil change anyway, so I asked the techs to look over the rear end based on how it felt. As it turns out, two of the three were completely cracked through, the third was about half way gone. Very happy I caught it when I did...

M

·
Registered
18 Posts
mine had a clunking noise from the back and it turned out to be a crown wheel bearing in the diff. mine was also leaking and changing seals did not help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I didn't, but I could tell something wasn't right. I had to take it in for an oil change anyway, so I asked the techs to look over the rear end based on how it felt. As it turns out, two of the three were completely cracked through, the third was about half way gone. Very happy I caught it when I did...

M
Those are diff mounts right ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just recently replaced all three differential bushings on the M5 I purchased. I did this while I had everything out for a clutch and flywheel replacement, but I would say that the hardest part of the job will be removing the exhuast just because of its size and weight. Once that is out of the way, disconnect the driveshaft from the differential as well as the axles, remove three bolts and-with a bit of wiggling to get the drive axle flanges to clear-the differential is out of the car. It weighs 80lbs., so have a floor jack supporting it and carefully lower it with the jack.

To change the differential bushings, you absolutely MUST have the special tool. You might could change the two rear bushings without the tool, but the front one requires the tool. I purchased the required tool for $491 shipped from technictool.com and it made the bushing replacement process very easy.

If you want to tackle this job yourself, I have the bushing tool availble for rent or for outright sale. Look at this post of mine in the FS forum for more details, or PM me if you have any questions.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111209

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Didn't you have to remove the rear subframe?

I just recently replaced all three differential bushings on the M5 I purchased. I did this while I had everything out for a clutch and flywheel replacement, but I would say that the hardest part of the job will be removing the exhuast just because of its size and weight. Once that is out of the way, disconnect the driveshaft from the differential as well as the axles, remove three bolts and-with a bit of wiggling to get the drive axle flanges to clear-the differential is out of the car. It weighs 80lbs., so have a floor jack supporting it and carefully lower it with the jack.

To change the differential bushings, you absolutely MUST have the special tool. You might could change the two rear bushings without the tool, but the front one requires the tool. I purchased the required tool for $491 shipped from technictool.com and it made the bushing replacement process very easy.

If you want to tackle this job yourself, I have the bushing tool availble for rent or for outright sale. Look at this post of mine in the FS forum for more details, or PM me if you have any questions.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111209

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Mine was doing the same thing had to replace the driveshaft and reinforce & replace the diff mounts, fixed the problem but was $1800

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would now be a good time to get the tranny mounts done also?
I am going to need reinforcement on the drive line because I am going to get a 4.5 P.S.I. friend for my engine......details to come

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Getting the bushings (diff) done today, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
My mechanic always gives me the old parts so I will post up how bad they look.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Those are diff mounts right ?
I took my car to a different mechanic and he found what is causing the noise i am hearing. The exhaust mount bushings. They crushed and the exhaust pipes are resting on the metal late that is near the carrier bearing. I am having that change out today. I will let you guys know if that fixes my problems.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Shifting gears, generally 1st and 2nd, or any hard shifts (6th --> 4th, etc.) I also had pretty bad wheel hop if I took off really fast, and that's gone now as well.

M

I just felt this for the 1st time yesterday :crying2:

Felt like a loose mount but I could not tell where. It was not an engine mount because it felt like it was from the rear. This sounds exactly what it is. It just started and I felt it from 1st to 2nd. Just a light knock.. but I don't want to let it go.

I was already planning to do my rear diff seals, as they are seeping.

Was looking for a picture of these 3 bushings on realOEM, can anyone help me out? Is #7 one of them?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts