BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to finally get my e63 m6 very soon, I want to preserve the SMG transmission and VANOS pumps as long as possible and avoid running through clutches, how do you drive your m6? And what driving styles can lead to SMG tranny issues and other possible failures?

·
Registered
463 Posts
i dont have an SMG, but i drive it like i stole it every single time im in the car, unless of course i hv a passenger or there is traffic, aside from that i drive the thing the way the engine was built to be driven and have loved every second of it for the past two years... if you bought the car to baby it and whatnot, you should have bought something else (645 possibly)... i honestly see no point in buying any high revving, high horsepower animal and then putt-putting around town with it or revving out first gear just so everyone looks at u... but hey thats me...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hi OP,

Golden Rule #1 - make sure engine is at full operating temperature before having any fun!

While I can't say I drive like Joe on a regular basis since I do have to put put around town more than I would like, I do have the SMG and have read a lot about different driving styles and about the only thing that seems definitive is that if you want to preserve your SMG and clutch, avoid launch control. Most of the guys that are into that stuff say you can do better launches without it anyway.

The SMG pumps seem to fail for a variety of reasons but not anything that I have been able to narrow down to "I am never doing that" (other than launch control and some say that is not the problem) to save them. (Other than never changing the fluid!) The clutch will wear according to where you drive it as it would in a car with a stick. Since I am in town most of the time doing lots of starts and stops, etc., I am going to predict that mine dies early. I do have it in M mode at the 5 setting which makes for quicker engagements but still...

As to the VANOS, I haven't seen much on what kind of driving styles cause problems if any do. Maybe someone else can chime in and educate both of us.

Good luck with your purchase. These cars are amazing for what they are - big, fast, and amazingly comfortable GT's.

Having said that, Joe is right, if you never plan on pushing it, a regular 6 series is a great car that you don't have to worry about nearly so much. The saner side of my brain says that is what I should have done but the other side screams "Hell Yeah!!" every time I get to hit the gas pedal hard as I head out to a set of twisties!!

:cheers:

Jim

·
Registered
463 Posts
Very well put Jim... I should mention I dont do very much around the town driving as I only drive her on th wknds during good weather

·
Registered
255 Posts
Drive it like its meant to be. But drive carefully. If something is going to go work, it will go wrong without any wrong doing. As its already put, **** just happens...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Very well put Jim... I should mention I dont do very much around the town driving as I only drive her on th wknds during good weather
Joe - I am just jealous!

OP - in reality, Joe's way is the best way to enjoy these cars. As daily drivers they are a handful and don't make anything as easy as it could be. On that point, I speak from experience! They are still worth the trouble but don't expect sedate around town driving to be much fun. Other cars do that better but won't make your heart race like an M6 when you DO get to unleash the beast.

:cheers:

Jim

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys, I don't plan on using launch control for the simple fact that this car isn't a launch car, when driving fast I plan on rolling into the power. This car will be my daily driver as it will be my only car but I don't live far from where I work at all. I understand stuff happens and plan for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts