BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who rides with me in my 355 spider F1 or BMW M5 assumes I accumulate and pay big $$ for speeding tickets. It's true, I do enjoy spirited driving and have my little stories to tell. For example, I averaged 120mph in my BMW M car over a 2 hour period in Nevada. On other occasions, I've been spared by F1 downshifting when my mind's been screaming "I'm going to crash!". And most recently, a cop came after me for not having my front licence plate on and I had to make one of those tough, instantaneous choice, stop or run. My 355, nicknamed Jezebel, screamed 'run' and we did, so no fine.

But I do have lots of friends who get plenty of speeding tickets. So we were talking about ways to avoid them and so here's a shortlist that we invite you to add to;

1. Drive fast in bursts, especially when gaps in traffic open up and its safe, and then pull in occasionally behind other cars and become one of the pack.

2. Recognize, at least in North America, that MOST cop cars, especially ghost cars, are big, traditional 4 passenger cars -- fords, etc -- and approach them slowly, check out the driver, and if OK, then thunder off.

3. When you're speeding at night, beware if any car is catching up to you; slow down, let them pass, check them out, if OK, then thunder off.

4. Use a radar detector, as a complement to your visuals, but don't rely on them -- especially for pop up laser, etc. And when you use one, keep it stealth and quickly remove from sight if police approach, even if legal. I've been saved about 6 times from RD in moving police cars.

5. Slow down and honor RIDICULOUSLY slow speed limits, especially on the outskirts of, or in little towns. Cash hungry local police tend to be around like crocks waiting for easy prey.

6. On long distance trips, ask restaraunt waiters, gas attendants, tool booth operators, etc., if the road you are travelling tends to be heavily patrolled, especially by radar.

7. Acknowledge that if you DO speed, it's you who are the threat and so avoid racing up to, beside, and past potentially fearful drivers, geriatrics, etc., who may be startled, swerve into you, causing you to crash and, of course, get some kind of horrendous fine.

Welcome other ideas.

Samson
93 E34 M5 :1:
98 Ferrari 355 F1 Spider :1:

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I'm just hitting 10 years and no speeding tickets.

And like you I seem to know so many people who have lots of points on their license, and even been banned, but don't drive anything like me, anywhere near as fast, and never cover even a quarter of the miles i do on the roads!!

I'm in the UK, and cover a lot of miles, unkown roads, i just keep alert - we have to worry more about speed cameras than patrols - some roads now have number plate recognition, and average your speed between cameras. When these become more widespread we could be in trouble particularly as they are essentially just small cctv cameras, and are easily not noticed, and not detected by laser snoopers etc. The ring road around Birmingham and a few connecting roads are now covered by these types of cameras. Obviously, keeping up to date on these kind of installations is essential, but other than that, I just keep a keen eye - i have numerous times noticed patrols on bridges, hiding on ramps behind bushes, and have had time to revert to reasonable speeds. Also I tend to know the hotspots, and certain roads you can never really go much over a tonne.

But I've never had a beast such as your Ferrari!!! My M5 is my first proper performance car, previously I had a 535i that would comfortably cruise at 145mph, and many times used to travel that fast for distances. Made it from Birmingham to Cambridge door-to-door in 45minutes one time late at night.

But yes, as you say, basically drive fast, but don't drive like an absolute idiot, and be considerate and alert!!!

Peace.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Still have a clean licence after 16 years behind the wheel and used to do in excess of 50k a year on uk roads without a problem, but I have come a cropper in Southern France twice in the last three weeks!

One was an unmarked Peugot 306 Estate with rear facing camera the other a biker lurking in the bushes at a very inviting clear straight stretch of dual carriageway!

Thankfully it's an on the spot fine and no points on my uk licence but soon the eurocrats will do away with that loophole too. With the advances such as the averaging cameras it's going to be harder to enjoy a bit of safe speed anywhere other than a track.....

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am glad I live in the desert southwest. States like Nevada, New Mexico, and Arizona are so wideopen (except for the bigger cities) that 100 and up speeds are attainable for some nice periods of time. In New Mexico, state police, or other travelers for that matter can often not be seen for hours.

Of course, being considerate of other drivers is a must. It is just not cool, or safe to blow by those observing the speed limit at 2X there speed.

Good luck on the clean records,

Greg

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Lost my license four time since 2000. :sad2:

Some additional tips:

• Get a laser detector, for example www.lidatek.com. There is no protection against laser, esp. in towns.
  • If you go all out on longer stretches, slow down while passing trailers and any other cars. Do not pass them over say 160 km/h. Then you go all out :D
  • Sometimes, go off the main road and take a paus on some minor roads if you sense a car has been following you. Get out of the car and hopefully they cannot prove that you were driving.
  • If you see a car that tries to follow you that is suspicious, drive away from him and take off at the very next exit where you dont see the car in the rear view mirror.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts