BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just checked, fluid is fine, I tried to turn the AC on and started to squeal real loud and smell burnt rubber....

·
Registered
469 Posts
Is the tensioner fully "tensioned up" I don think that it matters about the belts so long as the grooves are down on the pulleys with grooves, right?
Thats exactly what it was. Its weird, I have done this on other cars and I never had to tension up after I was done. Isn' that what the tensioner is suppose to do on its own? so I ended up taking the breaker bar and give it a tug to the left (counter clock wise) without loosening the nut and the belt was tighter and everything is ok again. I don't know if my tensior is worn, but I guess time will tell. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
872 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Bump for mid 2017 update:

if you're looking for OEM-grade for the two idler pulleys, you can use INA 11281440237 (made in germany) and just remove the screw/plate that it comes with. It is identical to the one that comes with the oem tensioners, which are also made by INA. I paid about 20 bucks a pop.

Great find. Thanks for sharing. :cheers:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, long time lurker, needing some advice now that my car is of an age and mileage that more serious maintenance is required.

I'm at the beginning of trying to do this DIY as part of an alternator replacement and really struggling to remove the fan per the instructions. There's nothing wrong with the steps that are laid out but I'm having the hardest time getting to the "wing" on the passenger side of the fan housing (this is a US LHD car, 2006, for what that's worth). There's a radiator hose that you have to clear to remove the fan and it's that same hose that is giving me fits to rotate that wing back out of the way. I can't get my hand down in there enough to give me good enough grip. I even got my wife to try rotating the wing back and she was unable to.

Any tips for this from people that have done this? Is it easier from down below, since I'm going to have to remove things down there anyway for the alternator replacement? I'm nearly desperate enough to consider removing the radiator to do this, so any guidance would be much appreciated.

Update: Working with a long screwdriver (as noted elsewhere) did the trick to unclick the tab, as well as to help rotate the tab from between the radiator hoses. I'm going to have to figure out how to click it back in once I'm done, which seems like it will also be fun.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts