BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted to do this for the last 20 years. Finally getting my dream garage. :)

It was so much faster installing the summer wheels with a lift. Life is good!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Sweet shop Dave! Congrats! What else are you planning for the shop?

I'll be over to change out my winter to summer wheels in a couple days!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Awesome lift! Like having a new toy! Enjoy ;)

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
OK, I need a lift like that! Very jealous Dave. What does a lift like that cost?

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
How high does it go? I ask because I'm curious if it would be good to work underneath the car.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
How high does it go? I ask because I'm curious if it would be good to work underneath the car.
My thoughts exactly. But judging from the looks of it, it will have another 4-6" or so of clearance when fully raised

Definitely useful for sliding underneath the car but man, my back would kill me doing that day in day out.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Dave,

Congratulations! Fantastic.

·
Registered
962 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Blimey, somewhere just over a grand (give or take a few quid)! That's awesome, perfect for home DIY's, I want one.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
That lift looks great. Just what I am looking for, with the flush mount and all. Want.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
My thoughts exactly. But judging from the looks of it, it will have another 4-6" or so of clearance when fully raised

Definitely useful for sliding underneath the car but man, my back would kill me doing that day in day out.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the thing. I'm just curious. Looking at the picture, the garage doesn't have high ceilings and the garage door, when open, doesn't allow much room for a car to be up there.

Also, given Dave's area, he just needs one high enough to make it comfortable to change brakes :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's correct, although with the rubber lift blocks it's 29" of lift, and you WILL be using those blocks. I think I paid about $600 less than that, but I can't lay my hands on the receipt at the moment, since it's back at home and I braved the flood waters to reach the office in Fairfield today. (Figured out a route that wasn't too bad.)

To change wheels, just crank that lift to full height and walk around the car with the air wrench, and zip off the wheel bolts. Then lower to about 1" above the floor so you can use the back of your foot to break the wheels free and not have them drop on your pretty brakes. Then it's a snap to put the new wheels on, since you don't have to lift more than an inch.

Words can't express how luxurious it felt changing the wheels yesterday. Those of you who have been to my old garage will know what I'm talking about. It's a dramatic change. I'll post a few pics to show you what I've done.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking at the picture, the garage doesn't have high ceilings and the garage door, when open, doesn't allow much room for a car to be up there.

Also, given Dave's area, he just needs one high enough to make it comfortable to change brakes :biggrin:
You're right about the headroom. Originally the ceiling was about 6' 10", which made it interesting when Rich Kao (AKA "Greatwall") stopped by to hang out.

It originally looked like this:

So we ripped out everything:

and then tore up the floor, so we could gain some headroom:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The goal was to gain about another foot of headroom, so we kept digging and digging ...

Which meant we needed to redo the footings under the walls, one 4-foot section at a time.

So you can probably guess what comes next. In order to avoid having a steep ramp into the garage, we ripped out the entire driveway and started over. The goal being to make it look like everything was built that way back in 1923.

Flash forward many months and many dumpsters full of dirt and clay and boulders, and this is what you get:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Holy crap, Dave - that was a lot of work! Might have been easier to move, so, well done!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice garage, those are the first lifts that I"ve seen like yours. Interesting... Nice brakes by the way!
Thanks!

I've always wanted a lift, yet I didn't want to lose the ability to pull the car into the garage at an angle, so I could wash it in the dead of winter and have enough space to easily walk all the way around it. A 2-post lift simply eats up too much space. And you can't drive at an angle across a normal scissor lift. So this seemed like the perfect solution.

Speaking of washing the car in the garage, I practically designed the garage around this floor drain!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts