BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
US131 Motorsports Park - Martin, Michigan. It was vry nearly perfect weather - low 60's, cloudless, windy though - about 15-20mph headwind. phillyM5 was there, too. It was hard to hook up the tires today.

Made 5 runs in my 2003 M5 w/ CAI, Powerchip, Tubi, and pulleys:

12.954 @ 108.88mph
12.974 @ 108.90mph
13.078 @ 106.63mph (tried to make it w/o shifting into 4th - NOT!)
12.693 @ 110.05mph
12.761 @ 110.04mph

Here's some pics:

A very rare solo run:

This Mits Evo proved to be evil. It had a big aftermarket turbo running 110 octane. His best was 11.50, but not today. The M5 gave him the run of his life - but he edged me out by 0.084 seconds. The AWD gives him the jump, but the M5 catched up once rolling:

The red turboed car (not the Mustang) was fast. He had a slight lead on my M5 but the M5 closed the gap and won by 0.0020 seconds. This was a very exciting 12 seconds.:

You gotta admire this guy's guts. That thing was a missle with a 12" slick. Check out the bystanders. Do you think it was LOUD?!:

Here's m5board.com phillyM5 (Josh) drop-dead Porsche TT:

Not even phillyM5's Porsche TT can keep up with this guy:

:cheers:

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Wow wow wow! Great pics and GREAT tiimes!Elelevens, you sure know how to dragrace! Comgrats again!

What did phillym5 got?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hey Bill,

Thats some smokin 12's there. :thumbsup:

12.6 @ 110 is awesome. What was your 60 footers? 1.8 - 1.7 ?

What did Josh's P car run?

MIB

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gustav said:
Wow wow wow! Great pics and GREAT tiimes!Elelevens, you sure know how to dragrace! Comgrats again!

What did phillym5 got?
Thanks for the kind words. Maybe phillyM5 will jump in with his P car times. He's knocking on the door of the 11's, but the car is new to him and he's still sorting out the launch.

MIB said:
... What was your 60 footers? 1.8 - 1.7 ?...
Mark, you're so optimistic! The 12.6 run had a 1.926 60-foot. The Dunlops ain't helping matters! Get that 60-foot down to a do-able 1.8 (Michelins?) and it should be good for a 12.4x ET.

MPRESIV said:
... what RPM did you drop the clutch for your best run?
The technique that I use is hold the motor at 2000rpm, release the clutch quickly without "dumping it", wait until the drivetrain catches up to the motor and the suspension loads, then roll on the throttle. The (32psi hot) Dunlops were so bad that I had to granny-shift into second. A full-on power shift would spin and wheel hop the tires all the way through second gear. I shifted 1-2 at an indicated 6500, all the rest at an indicated 7000.

:M5launch:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hey Bill,

Man your Beast has some top end Power than. :eek:

I'll trade you some 60 footers for some MPH. :haha:

The Michelins and 5 button help, but its Wayy to hot here.

33 Degrees Celcius. :M5launch:

·
Registered
947 Posts
thanks for the pics, that Porsche is lovely!

Congrats on the times and commentary!

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
ELEVENS(or should I say Twelve's),

Great results. I am guessing different tires would certainly help. It looks like you had some heady competion there. I am surprised the Supra was not faster. I have heard it is quite easy to modify them into 600HP monsters.

So, you believe 12.4 times are possible?

Mark

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
There was this supra there running in the 6's. :eek:h:
My turbo ran a 12.2 at 117 the fastest mile per hour was 119, and my slowest time was a [email protected] 2.0-2.2 60fters.
the best ive ever run it was a [email protected]
I just cant figure out how to launch it.
Elevens was killing it. That evo he raced was such a good race. you should see the slip from that race. Almost the exact same.
Elevens, good to finally meet you in person, and some awesome driving.

josh.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Congratulations :happybirt Way to go.. Thats some impressive results

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
phillym5 said:
There was this supra there running in the 6's. :eek:h:
My turbo ran a 12.2 at 117 the fastest mile per hour was 119, and my slowest time was a [email protected] 2.0-2.2 60fters.
the best ive ever run it was a [email protected]
I just cant figure out how to launch it.
Elevens was killing it. That evo he raced was such a good race. you should see the slip from that race. Almost the exact same.
Elevens, good to finally meet you in person, and some awesome driving.

josh.
Hey Josh,

That 12.0 has got to be killing you. :hihi: Its what runs through every drag racers mind, Just give me 11.99 hiha

Everyone always wants to break into the next lower second bracket, especially when they get an .0 :M5launch:

When you nail it, you'll have to swap Nicks with Bill. We will call you 11's. cherrsagai

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Roy said:
I noticed you went through the water . Did it help or hinder your times with street tires?
That's a good catch Roy. I don't like water box for street tires, but it was impossible to drive around it at this track.

MIB said:
...you'll have to swap Nicks with Bill. We will call you 11's.
Hey Mark - what makes you think I'm throwing in the towel??? (J/K) cherrsagai

phillyM5 said:
...I just cant figure out how to launch it...
Josh - you forgot to add the word ...YET.
You'll get that 11. It was great to (finally) hook up with you too. I can't wait to see your M5. Based upon how many people asked about it, it must be very special car.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Hey Mark - what makes you think I'm throwing in the towel??? (J/K) cherrsagai
About Half a second buddy. hiha

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
What wheels are size wheels are on that TT that looks great.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I think they are techart wheels

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here's the timeslip. The car weighed 3870 pounds minus the bio unit (me). That's with 1/2 tank of fuel and no liquid bubblegum machine.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Great day at the track. IMO, these posted times do not seem to reflect the "typical" M5 performance envelope (with minor mods) under controlled conditions. I'd expect 13 flat under optimal amateur driver conditions without powershifting. These times almost remind me of a couple E46 M3's stock running mid 12's at a couple specific tracks. Does anyone have current track spec data for US131 Motorsports Park? In the '60's (before it was rebuilt), this track was notorious for producing optimistic results, due to decreasing elevation (down hill). The big three flocked to this track in an effort to produce ground-breaking performance records & favorable press releases. Many newly-constructed or rebuilt tracks are sloped down hill. This marketing strategy has been in drag racing news. Slower, honest "zero gain" tracks simply do not get participants. Tracks are sloped downward for three reasons:

1) to attract participants
2) to break records
3) earth is generally moved from "down track" traps area to create an uphill runoff section.

Just expressing some sanity concerns, before folks begin claiming that M5's are faster than Viper GTS & Z06, simply by comparing to Car and Driver corrected numbers at level tracks.

Any info appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hey ELEVENS, thats one smoking looking beast you got there.. lots of love care and attention go into that car I can see!!..

the car in this pic

The far one with the big spoiler is a Mitsubishi 3000GT Mark 3 , sometimes called a VR4 in the states or a GTO in Japan,(I think - get confused by the different model variants!) They also had a Dodge Stealth Brand based on the same engine/chassis. (I owned a UK 3000GT which was way underpeforming and ran 12.87 sec..) the Four wheel drive off the line always helps.. There's a guy off of www.3si.org called Matt Monett who has ran 10.8 in his heavily modified version. And another guy who pushed those kinda times too.(with matt's help on the tuning side!)

Thanks very much for the pictures and the story of your day.. and well done!

cheers
Dave

1 - 20 of 42 Posts