BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the questions regarding the new dual clutch transmission is how it performs when downshifting more than one gear. With SMG lll on the M5 when you click the "-" paddle two or more times consecutively, you get instantaneous downshifts to the selected gear.

How fast is the M-DCT when downshifting 2+ gears vs the SMG lll?

Anyone with experience yet to answer this?

·
Registered
222 Posts
One of the great features in SMG is the ability to skip gears. I also have an Audi A3 DSG which doesn't skip gears on downshifts.

In theory the M DCT should be able to skip gears if they figure the logic out correctly. One of the big (and admittedly few) negatives of the DSG in the A3 is when it preselects the "wrong" gear, there is usually a long delay and a rough shift into the selected gear. One other negative of DSG is that there is a small delay between pulling the shift lever and the initiation of the shift in the gearbox. I have to admit, full throttle upshifts in the A3 are very impressive- very quick, almost seamless, with no jerkiness whatsoever.

The DSG in auto mode is excellent, though I have to admit I love the "feeling" of SMG in full manual S4-S6. I almost never drive in auto mode.

I expect that with the M DCT, BMW will keep the "feeling" of a performance gearbox while fixing the shortcomings of SMG.

·
Registered
682 Posts
After watching the videos it sounds like the clutch slips between gears, kind of like an auto.

The slam of the SMG is what really sold me on the M5. I am sure the DCT is better for the track since it is so smooth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts