BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just picked up a '16 M6 Vert. It is bone stock right now. The first thing I noticed though is how much more lowend responsiveness it has and how much less lag time it has than my '15 M5 which has RPI downpipes and a custom tune. The m5 is making about 690rwhp and is radically faster mid and top end than the M6 but the M6 has that nice drive-ability.

I feel (off memory) that I lost that when the downpipeswent on but I can't recall now and I am considering now doing Dp's on this car. Anyone else have any other experience and input?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hi Guys,

I just picked up a '16 M6 Vert. It is bone stock right now. The first thing I noticed though is how much more lowend responsiveness it has and how much less lag time it has than my '15 M5 which has RPI downpipes and a custom tune. The m5 is making about 690rwhp and is radically faster mid and top end than the M6 but the M6 has that nice drive-ability.

I feel (off memory) that I lost that when the downpipeswent on but I can't recall now and I am considering now doing Dp's on this car. Anyone else have any other experience and input?

Thanks a lot.
I'll start by saying I've never had downpipes fitted so I'm only able to comment on a related note.

As I understand it from a fair bit of research and frequent discussions on the topic with dealers, the M5 and M6 engine/drivetrain setup are identical--the only recent difference I was made aware of was the bump in stock horsepower on the 2016 M6 CP vs. the 2016 M5 CP (only the M5 Jahra enjoyed the same tweaks). I've had 3 x F10 M5 CPs and then moved to M6 GC CPs--I'm on my second one of them now and I can say now with reasonable certainty that the M6's consistently *launch* better than my M5s did but I attribute that to the subtleties in weight differences and spread from front to rear. Once they're moving--they seat-of-the-pants feel is very much the same and the power difference (even with the extra grunt in this year's model) is imperceptible.

So, that said, to my mind the differences you're seeing are probably one of two things: 1) the downpipes did indeed affect the responsiveness in some way or 2) there's a slight variation between your two cars' engines. I can't speak to #1 but for #2 I can absolutely say that my third M5 put down less rwhp than my second. My point being, there are noticeable or measurable differences between any two S63TUs--perhaps that's what you're seeing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting... yeah my M6 vert is obviously the heaviest of the group. I would assume all your cars would have the same power once tuned. My '15 M5 put out the lowest HP my tuner had seen. He said once he dug into the software that BMW was pulling back power on the newer cars. It made about 475rwhp stock where the '14's and prior were putting down about 510ish.

I think the DP's did affect lowend output... not sure why but it just takes longer to spool up. I am getting my M6 tuned this week so we'll see then.

How come your switching cars so often?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Interesting... yeah my M6 vert is obviously the heaviest of the group. I would assume all your cars would have the same power once tuned. My '15 M5 put out the lowest HP my tuner had seen. He said once he dug into the software that BMW was pulling back power on the newer cars. It made about 475rwhp stock where the '14's and prior were putting down about 510ish.

I think the DP's did affect lowend output... not sure why but it just takes longer to spool up. I am getting my M6 tuned this week so we'll see then.

How come your switching cars so often?
Great--let me know how the tune performs.

I switch due to excessive mileage. 25-30,000 per year. My solution is to lease, put zero/minimum down and negotiate good deals equipped with well-liked packages and color-combos that I also like or can live with myself... then sell the lease a year to 15 months in. It's not the cheapest way to drive a car but if you want warranty, new'ish cars, etc. it's the best option I've found.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Actually doing similar here. Not nearly as many miles though. Do you have any miles left on the lease when you sell it?
Some, but not much. I usually buy some more before advertising it but that obviously increases the expense at each new year but the $$$ per mile has gone up a bit recently.

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
2,432 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, just curious what tuning you went with once you put the downpipes on the M5?
Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts