BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worth a slow watch, go all the way to the end...

I kinda agree with his choices here... and would have chosen #1 the same 20 years ago.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Shocked he left E46 M3 off list. His honorable mentions were interesting as well.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Do not agree with the list, except for E39M and E36M, but I wouldn't put it in this order.
His criteria for ranking is just not what most BMW enthusiasts are looking for in these cars.

Reactions: ReeceCrawford

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think his criteria was decently valid, and I am a BMW enthusiast through and through, I was also kinda shocked the E46 M3 did not make it on there, but then again I do see the reasons for the E30 and E36 M3. I do agree that the M2 Comp/CS is probably the best looking modern BMW (aside of the new M5/M8) before they all went to ****.

So if you disagree, what would be your top 6? (Let's not include Alpinas, just original, untouched BMWs).

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Curious what the list is in order? Would like to see that then read some discussion and later watch the video for full effect.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curious what the list is in order? Would like to see that then read some discussion and later watch the video for full effect.
? you want the list first, then read this thread, then watch the vid? seems backwards to me, maybe watch vid first, then come read the thread, and you will already know what the list is. If we give you the list first, it will ruin any anticipation of what's next.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Watching the video, the first thing that comes to mind is how did he keep his NY plates.
I thought NY DMV didn't allow that.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,520 Posts
Don’t know how Doug left the e24/e28 ///Ms off the list. The e28m5 was lighter and faster than the e24m6, and really started the entire fast sedan category.

These are classic:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
So if you disagree, what would be your top 6? (Let's not include Alpinas, just original, untouched BMWs).
Well, I'm a die hard BMW guy and its hard for me to pick just 6 cars from a lineup that spans 100+ years without limiting at least the time period or omitting some great cars...but he seems to be talking mostly about the cars released in the last 50 years, so following that suit, my list would be:

1. E46 M3/CSL
2. E86 Z4 M Coupe
3. E39 M5
4. E28 M5
5. E36/8 Z3M Coupe
6. 2002 Turbo

If I'd continue to at least #10, then it would be as follows:

7. E36 M3
8. E30 M3
9. E9 3.0 CSL
10. E31 850CSi

You may notice that except for E86, I'm not including any of the cars BMW developed in the last 20 years. Some of them were great, but like I said, its hard to pick just 6-10 cars from such a large span, and to me personally - golden age of BMW was 1980-2000. These are the cars that I grew up dreaming about, and these are the cars that stir my soul. And that is why I'm working towards having a chance to experience them and take care of some specimens for the next "custodian". I'm not there yet regarding some of the $$$ ones, but who knows? 20 years ago I didn't think I'd be where I'm now.

We just had a pretty nasty weather here in Texas, so I tucked all my cars in the garage away from the elements, and could not pass up a photo op. Nevermind the E93, that's my wife's (just kidding, great car too, but I'm not sure if it would even make my top 15).

Also, these type of rankings are completely personal thing and regardless of how great certain cars are - if it does not appeal to the person putting the list together - its not on it.

·
Registered
01 Dinan S2
53 Posts
What a garage! I've always wondered how different the experience is in a Z4M vs an E46 M3. I've owned the latter for a few years and still am enamored by it.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
What a garage! I've always wondered how different the experience is in a Z4M vs an E46 M3. I've owned the latter for a few years and still am enamored by it.
I still maintain (as you can see by my list) that E46M is THE best BMW ever. The balance, the chassis, handling, and that intoxicating S54 is just a lethal combination. Subdued looks, killer performance. Z4M is very similar, but much more raw on pretty much every level. Suspension is harder, handling is more nervous, its louder, more cramped, just more visceral in every way. No frills drivers car. I'd say about the same performance-wise stock to stock. It just feels faster :)

Reactions: SpnSprt

·
Registered
01 Dinan S2
53 Posts
I still maintain (as you can see by my list) that E46M is THE best BMW ever. The balance, the chassis, handling, and that intoxicating S54 is just a lethal combination. Subdued looks, killer performance. Z4M is very similar, but much more raw on pretty much every level. Suspension is harder, handling is more nervous, its louder, more cramped, just more visceral in every way. No frills drivers car. I'd say about the same performance-wise stock to stock. It just feels faster :)
Yeah my E46 is fairly modified since I'm trying to get more into tracking it so now it's pretty stiff in terms of suspension (coilovers) and driveline. It's also got a 4.10 final drive. It's been a total blast on the track but it's not all that streetable anymore. I knew there'd be a real tradeoff but I certainly do miss how it used to be sometimes.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Yeah my E46 is fairly modified since I'm trying to get more into tracking it so now it's pretty stiff in terms of suspension (coilovers) and driveline. It's also got a 4.10 final drive. It's been a total blast on the track but it's not all that streetable anymore. I knew there'd be a real tradeoff but I certainly do miss how it used to be sometimes.
Yeah, its a trade off. One of the reasons I left all my cars pretty much stock, with very minor upgrades (intakes/suspension/exhausts).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Doug focusses on youngtimers and I'm sure his knowledge on old cars is fairly limited. Because of this he leaves out a substantial range of produced cars. His top 6 was basically made out of cars produced in the last 25 years, leaving out all the classics like the 2002, the M635Csi, the 507, 3.0CSL, M1 etc.
The list would have looked totally different if it was made by someone with a little more knowledge about car history.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm actually surprised that he didn't choose the E46 M3 considering his age, which he uses as justification. I'm a couple years older, mid-30s vs. early, and friends my age all consider the E46 the quintessential M3.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
One of the few tubers i just can’t stomach to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't like it because it comes across as car content for non-car people, trying to be informative but focusing on infotainment systems and not performance. Top Gear is a car show for non-car people too but it is at least entertaining and provides actual information on the car's performance, masked under jokes or silly anecdotes...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts