BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Family ,

Yesterday , due to my fault , i reached the top rev limiter .. The HUD started to blink red and I immediatelly took my foof off ... My question is : there is any chance of any damage being done to the engine ? It was for few seconds....

I hope this is not a silly question ...

Cheers

·
Registered
86 Posts
:eek:oohhh:

You probably just blew your engine man!!!! ouich

..... Just kidding :haha: The car is fine, the rev limiter will not allow damage to happen!!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Nothing from electric limiter and with SMG I dont think you can have a mechanical overrev.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Nothing from electric limiter and with SMG I dont think you can have a mechanical overrev.

No issues. It seems like you continue to red line b/c the limiter keeps you right at the red line as opposed to bouncing you around like some other cars do.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Agreed...almost certainly no problem. It's my understanding the rev limiter just closes off the throttle butterflies enough to hold the engine rpm back. Not like the old days where the rev limiter "pinged" the rpm back on the engine and could potentially cause issues.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all.... Feel much better now ....

:3:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve (8320): BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The only effect hitting the rev limiter has is making your engine scream "Finally!!" and putting a big smile on it's face :)

-David

·
Registered
563 Posts
Cosmos has a good point about the mechanical over rev not being possible with SMG (unless it screws up), because it implies that an over rev is very possible with a manual transmission... get the wrong gear and depending on road speed you could be cooked, like getting third instead of fifth on a downshift at high speed from sixth. You might feel the problem in time to get declutched but, maybe, probably $$$$$$ not.

·
Registered
539 Posts
No problem at all.

That's why the rev limiter is there.

The car has 2 revlimiters, one that cuts fuel to half the cylinders, and another that cuts fuel to all of them. You hit the soft limiter (first one), and there is nothing to be concerned about.

PS: Get ESS software and you can bounce off at 8500RPM :).

Edit: No way to mechanically overrev an SMG car. 6sp is a different story.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts