BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone recommend using to secure these cubby’s back on the door panel?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe others have suggested Loctite Construction Adhesive but I’m not sure if that’s the best option. Anyone know what the original glue is?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks like regular glue from a hot glue gun but what do I know? Some of the cubby's are loose from my door panels too so this will be on my list of things to sort later on.

Sent from Uranus with Love.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looks like regular glue from a hot glue gun but what do I know? Some of the cubby's are loose from my door panels too so this will be on my list of things to sort later on.

I used JB Cold Weld on the cubby, and they never separated again. I’ve taken the door cards off many times afterwards, too.

Just make sure you can clamp it down and give it 24 hours to cure.

Maybe a bit overkill though. I use JB quite a bit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the glue they used is meant to be strong but removable. I just resprayed my door panels and being able to remove the cubby was a good thing. If I use something like Construction adhesive im concerned that it will be nearly impossible to remove without damaging the door card itself.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think the glue they used is meant to be strong but removable. I just resprayed my door panels and being able to remove the cubby was a good thing. If I use something like Construction adhesive im concerned that it will be nearly impossible to remove without damaging the door card itself.
I wonder if something like GOOP that is used for shoe sole repair would work?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've always used urethane winshield caulk in the tubes (3M WindoWeld). VERY strong, and flexible. I've yet to do my M5, but I've done a two-tone sandbeige and black conversion on my 525i winter car with absolutely no issues. It isn't coming apart unless you cut it.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Honestly, from my experience, regular hot glue is the best for this. it bonds well, flexes if needed, and easily cleaned if you screw up.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
If you have time and numerous clamps, E-6000 is a good one to use. I've done it on mine and take the panels off semi-routinely. No issues after many years. Just gotta be spot on with positioning as the bond is tight when dry. (Great for loose door panel cubbies too)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts