BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you probably know, I had a bit of trouble the other week with a stereotypical Scouser who broke a window and damaged my passener door lock.

I rarely use the key anyway so was considering either delocking the handles, fitting a blanking plate, or replacing the system with new/'reclaimed' parts.

I've seen these on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330226147035 - but am not sure whether 1) they're compatible; 2) they're worth buying; 3) kosher (i.e. they get your address when you buy and they happen to have a spare key they can use on a e34 they know the address of).

RealOEM says the lock is used on a range of vehicles, but as I'm mechanically ignorant, I'd like the benefit of the 'group expertise' on this.

·
Registered
723 Posts
As it's only the lock barrel which is damaged, I'd go for a lock barrel repair kit:

51218135959 Left
51218135960 Right

They are about £35 each and allow you to rebuild the barrel to suit your key - fiddly but not too difficult as all the tumblers are numbered on your existing lock so make a note how you take it apart and replace them with new ones from the kit.

My lock was very severely damaged which also included the handle so I had to replace the whole thing - if it's just the lock then save money and just go for the lock itself.

Remember though that our door lock assembly (apart from being heated) also manages via micro switches:

Interior Light
Central Locking
Dead Locking
Total Closure

So if you do buy from Ebay, be prepared to swap over all this stuff from your old one if the new ebay item doesn't have it - loads of hassle in my opinion.

Finally, to help in doing the job, here's the website I used for reference:

http://evansweb.info/articles/2003/01/18/door-lock-barrel-replacement

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I suppose this is something I'll just add to my list for Farrell to do :hihi:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get it delivered to the office - that's what I do, for this very reason!
I would probably have picked these up on the way home one week instead - but no need now!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Get it delivered to the office - that's what I do, for this very reason!
Be careful of this.

An ebayer "involved in a transaction" with another ebayer, basically the winner of a bid or the seller can request ebay details from ebay in the Find Contact Information page. Details are sent to both parties.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/ws/search/AdvSearch?sofindtype=9

Ebay and Paypal require you to have your real details and not just the delivery work address registered with them.

Therefore, although it is unlikely and 99.99% of people need never worry, it is possible the following scenarios could occur.

One:
Bidders bid on nice item from seller Moe.
Seller Moe sells item to winning bidder Larry and the item gets delivered somewhere safe like Larry's work address by arrangement with Moe.
Bad person Curly sets up a fake new account on ebay, not registering with Paypal, then bids and wins a future auction should Larry ever decide to sell anything.
Curly uses his status as "involved in a transaction" and requests details from Ebay link.
Ebay send Larrys correct address, telephone number and postcode to Curly and also send the fake Curly's details to Larry.
Curly steals Larry's item that he bought from Moe and was kept at Larry's home address.

Two:
Curly sets up an Ebay account with an address he has access to or has stolen the identity of.
Curly sells item like the locks above and the winning bidder is Larry.
Larry requests delivery to work and selects only his verified work address when he pays for the item so Curly doesn't know where Larry lives.
Curly uses his status as "involved in a transaction" and requests details from Ebay link.
Ebay send Larrys correct address, telephone number and postcode to Curly and also sent the fake or stolen Curly's details to Larry.
Curly steals Larry's car that he bought the locks for that was kept at Larry's home address.

Unlikely but a valid attacks.

The only defence is to have your work address listed in Ebay and Paypal, but this is against Ebays rules and risks their wrath if they find out, and makes verification of the credit card details fail when registering cards with Paypal as the address doesn't match.

Remember, it's not paranoia if they really are out to get you!

Regards

Ivan

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So IvanDevious, what you're saying is if I were to buy this item, I would need to get them delivered to my home address, then ask ebay for the seller's personal address, go round to his house, knock him off so that he can't come around and steal my car at a later date :hihi:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Ivan, I am somewhat of an expert on information security (it's my profession) and I hadn't spotted that, so bravo :cheers:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Ivan, I am somewhat of an expert on information security (it's my profession) and I hadn't spotted that, so bravo :cheers:
I'm getting there too. I'm trainee Network Manager for a group of companies and although security isn't my only job, it forms part of it. A devious mind is needed!

Here's a quote from wired.com, it did make me smile...

"Uncle Milton Industries has been selling ant farms to children since 1956. Some years ago, I remember opening one up with a friend. There were no actual ants included in the box. Instead, there was a card that you filled in with your address, and the company would mail you some ants. My friend expressed surprise that you could get ants sent to you in the mail.

I replied: "What's really interesting is that these people will send a tube of live ants to anyone you tell them to."

Security requires a particular mindset. Security professionals -- at least the good ones -- see the world differently. They can't walk into a store without noticing how they might shoplift. They can't use a computer without wondering about the security vulnerabilities. They can't vote without trying to figure out how to vote twice. They just can't help it.

SmartWater is a liquid with a unique identifier linked to a particular owner. "The idea is for me to paint this stuff on my valuables as proof of ownership," I wrote when I first learned about the idea. "I think a better idea would be for me to paint it on your valuables, and then call the police."

Regards

Ivan

·
Registered
526 Posts
IvanD

your ebay scam reminds me of the old trick.

Person B wins 2 free tickets to the movies.

Person A "running" the competition raids Person B's home knowing that the latter is safely occupied watching their "free" movie

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Never have your correct home address programmed into
your vehicles' sat-nav.:nono:

Thief pinches keys from your coat in the coffee shop,
nicks car & pushes "navagate home" knowing you're supping a cappuccino.

Thief robs your house, your plasma & your vehicles V5 and drives off into
the sunset.hmmm

The list is endless !

Well done Ivan for the ebay scam though :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Ivan, keep going - it's a rich and rewarding career in InfoSec - I'm now a senior consultant to UK government and some massive firms on their overall security and by god it's interesting!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ivan, keep going - it's a rich and rewarding career in InfoSec - I'm now a senior consultant to UK government and some massive firms on their overall security and by god it's interesting!
So are you the one who let them use unencrypted CDs (well only simple password protection at most) to transfer data on :hihi:

I was working on a project for local government in a borough of London last year and for 12 people they supplied one PC for us all to check our emails on and to access the council files we needed for the project.

In the course of the project we had to transfer files between our own machines and this council one to file them and to email them to project stakeholders. However the only way we were allowed to transfer them was via council supplied USB flash pens which had built-in 1024-bit encryption with password access and the council PCs would only supposedly only accept council 'signed' USB connects.

I thought this was great, and was impressed with their security, until one day when the USB stick would not read in the PC and we had to get some documents distributed. Thinking it was the PC, I took the stick to a friendly PA to get the documents sent, but the stick wouldn't work in her PC either, so I asked for another stick to use instead - to which she replied "Don't worry, they all do this now and then." and promptly held down the right ALT key and reinserted the stick. Voila it loaded up and didn't even ask for a password :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
So are you the one who let them use unencrypted CDs (well only simple password protection at most) to transfer data on :hihi:
I'm one of the ones they've brought in to try and help them not repeat that mistake :nono:;)

I was working on a project for local government in a borough of London last year.....
At that point I knew something was about to go wrong :haha:

I conducted a short,sharp penetration test of a london borough a few years back, and 3 hours in managed to be logged into the Council Tax system as an administrator, from one of their Public Internet terminals in the Library - it would have been hilarious if it hadn't been for the fact I then found clear evidence someone else had been doing similar, for some years :3:

Anyway, apologies for dragging this off topic, I just love security as much as sport cars (nearly)

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
I suppose this is something I'll just add to my list for Farrell to do :hihi:
Hi Tony
The tailored suspension kit for your car is being made now.
Will take delivery next week with luck.
Yours will be the first with this damper & spring set to appear on a Board
members car.
Should be interesting to see what its like at the Ring:)
I have several sets of PF black kits on their way to me for both ally & steel lower arms also.
Thought you might be interested in a set so I ordered an extra set just in case !;)

Cheers
Farrell

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi Tony
members car.
I have several sets of PF black kits on their way to me for both ally & steel lower arms also.
Thought you might be interested in a set so I ordered an extra set just in case !;)

Cheers
Farrell
:M5thumbs:

If I fall off at the first corner then it's Farrell's fault for fitting the suspension upside-down!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
So IvanDevious, what you're saying is if I were to buy this item, I would need to get them delivered to my home address, then ask ebay for the seller's personal address, go round to his house, knock him off so that he can't come around and steal my car at a later date :hihi:
Spoken like a, to quote a certain board member, "typical" scouser:applause::applause:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hi Tony
members car.

Cheers
Farrell
Faz Hi !

Hope you included me in your supply list for the Powerflex black ;).

Seems you have a lot of stuff that I'll be needing....will p.m. you later.

Cheers

Erik

1 - 19 of 19 Posts