BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have a ding in my driver's side rear door that is really bugging me and I want to get it fixed. Can anyone offer advice on what they have done that has worked? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Scorp: I had a shopping cart ding on the passenger door on my 00 M5. I made an appointment to get it fixed at a body shop ($600 with paint). One day I drove by a paintless dent repair place, and thought, what the heck, they can't make it any worse, and if they do a bad job, I am only out $100. Reasonable experiment.

I dropped it off and went across the street to get coffee. Before I could finish a cup they called me and said they were done. Expecting a terrible outcome, I went back and was stunned: it was perfect (and I am pretty picky).

I subsequently had it done to my 911 when my motorcycle fell on the rear fender (don't ask...). Excellent job again - this time they went thru the tail light opening to get the dents.

YMMV, but it worked for me. BTW, they told me they don't get great results on Mercedes, because the sheet metal is too thick.

Steve

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I can also attest to the Dent-less repair places. I dropped a 2x4 (don't ask) on the passenger side front quarter panel right on the contour line. They were able to remove the dent in about 15 minutes. If I pointed it out to you, and you looked really hard, you can barely see a slight ripple. The guy said fixing dents on a contour line is the hardest -- but they did a great job. $95 well spent.

·
Registered
767 Posts
You can use paint less dent repair if the ding is accessable from the immediate other side of the door. Where I live the Dent Doctor is called to my house whenever a ding occurs, $75 per panel. Have them come to you, and not a dirty body repair shop.

·
Registered
193 Posts
TurboCarrera said:
BTW, they told me they don't get great results on Mercedes, because the sheet metal is too thick.
I have a Merc S class and it is very ding resistant. Take a look at any Acura, particularly the MDX -- it will have lots of dings. The metal must be like aluminum foil. I wish some manufacturer would offer super-hardened steel for the side panels. That would be a feature that would get my attention.

·
Registered
312 Posts
SCORPIO said:
Well, I have a ding in my driver's side rear door that is really bugging me and I want to get it fixed. Can anyone offer advice on what they have done that has worked? Thanks!
As noted by others, paintless dent removals can work like a charm, so long as the paint isn't cracked. We had a number of dings taken out this way, and our Beast is now flawless again.

·
Banned
300 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Scorpio I use paintless dent removal all the time at my shop. The results are amazing and I'm very picky. I have a couple on my 00 the next time he's in I'll get him to remove them. They're not wizards but pretty da.. close. I'm sure you could find a shop that performs that in your area.

Good luck
Joe

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just to add the same, even the dealership here has their own (rather sophisticated) equipment and lighting to get it right for you. SOme @#$% in a SUV decided to open their door on mine (fool I was for trusting a valet) - the SUV owner dashed in to the spot next to me before the valet could stop them. Anyway, it was not easy to fix, as the ding was high on the driver door.. Took two tries as there are lots of bars in the door panels that get in the way. However if you are patient and perhaps tip them for trying extra hard, you should have terrific results (for under $100). Repainting should always be the last resort. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
SCORPIO said:
DIY. I heard this works for 20 bucks. I've only heard from one source though. One of these inventors invented OxyClean and Kaboom. It might be Ding King. By the way, I've had three ignorants hit my door while I'm sitting in the car. Fortunately, no dings.

Ding King
http://www.dingking.tv/dingking.asp

Pops-A-Dent
https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vcc/ezdropshipper/popsadent/index/111397/

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a_ok2me said:
DIY. I heard this works for 20 bucks. I've only heard from one source though. One of these inventors invented OxyClean and Kaboom. It might be Ding King. By the way, I've had three ignorants hit my door while I'm sitting in the car. Fortunately, no dings.

Ding King
http://www.dingking.tv/dingking.asp

Pops-A-Dent
https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vcc/ezdropshipper/popsadent/index/111397/
Actually, these items have been reviewed extensively by various news programs, etc. Basically it comes out that they do not give the results you would expect. I think Channel 5 here in Phoenix did a trial and one magazine that I read - Cargo maybe? - also reviewed it and said it didn't get the results. So far, the paintless dent removal seems to be the best option, now if I can just get one of them to call me back...oh well, it is Good Friday. Happy Easter everyone!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I tried Ding King on my previous car, a black '98 540i. After several attempts it failed to remove any of my dime-sized door dings. After the third attempt I actually turned two of the dings from "innys" to "outties". They ended up looking like small volcanoes. Needless to say I was pretty disappointed. I found a Dent Wizard in Seekonk, MA. They made a flawless repair. I sat and watched them do the entire repair. It really was art. I would strongly recommend paintless dent removal. If you want a Ding King you can buy mine...although I'd feel responsible. Best of luck.

Gordon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts