BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, I swear! :D

The door brake (part #2 below) is making a rather loud CLACK CLACK CLACK sound when I close the driver's door. It doesn't do this on opening, just closing, and the sound occurs about 1/2 way through the travel of the door. The movement of the door isn't impeded at all, feels the same. It has been cold here this week, dipping into the 30s, perhaps this is something to do with it? (It's Austin, it gets near 30 and people start stockpiling food and ammo....)

Some searching on here suggests spraying lithium grease into the opening as a possible solution. Anyone else have this issue? Should I expect to be able to find lithium spray grease at Autozone?

I'm open to removing the door card, I've done it before when I installed the BSW Stage I speakers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Li grease helps for the squeak and "clack" you hear when opening/closing the door. You pop the retaining pin out (#4), on the door jamb side, and grease it up. I use the tube grease so I dont have overspray dripping down the jamb or having it blow inside the car. Any parts store will have this.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Applied grease to the pin and inside the door, this was met with a groan that subsided.

Still getting the CLACK CLACK, it's definitely coming from inside the door, probably in the brake housing (part # 15). It's sounds like something going through detents or notches. I'll take the door card off this weekend and see if I can get a better idea of what's going on. *sigh*

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I removed the door card and speaker enclosure over the weekend and tested the door. The CLACK CLACK was NOT the door brake, as the sound disappeared after removing the card and the speaker enclosure. I suspect one of the pop fasteners on the door wasn't all of the way in and was popping in and out of it's hole when I closed the door. Whatever it was, the sound is gone thankfully.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts