BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2006 bmw m5 a few months ago and have recently been looking at the new 2012 m5. I know a lot of people on here love it and can't wait to get it, but I've been asking myself are there any other cars I'd rather have for the money. So I got to thinking. Compartivaly speaking, what would be the pros and cons to owning a 2009 sl65 amg (perhaps even the 07's but don't care too much for the looks) rather the new m5? I know that the amg is an older car and what not and that the m5 is new. But for about the same money, the sl IMO seems to have more advantages than the m5. I just wanted to see other opinions as I've seen some on here own Mercedes as well as BMW's so I'm not trying to start a war, just asking a question. Thanks for any help guys.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SL65 AMG is another car, a cruiser with great straight line acceleration. But ut is not a drivers car like the M5.
I get that it's a different car, but what makes the m5 a better drivers car? I love my m5 don't get me wrong, but I've never owned another European car. I've only owned these ****box American cars so I'm trying to ask what makes the difference to others when choosing one or the other (m5 or sl65 amg)?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I get that it's a different car, but what makes the m5 a better drivers car? I love my m5 don't get me wrong, but I've never owned another European car. I've only owned these ****box American cars so I'm trying to ask what makes the difference to others when choosing one or the other (m5 or sl65 amg)?
M5 is probably more nimble than then SL65 AMG,

as Gustav said, Benz is great as a cruiser and straight line acceleration.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I test drove one before purchasing the M5 and they are heavy cars or feel heavier when going around corners. I noticed I can obtain a higher speed on the same corner in the M5 than the SL65 (yes I tried it). Straight line they are great and hard top convertable is great to have.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I test drove one before purchasing the M5 and they are heavy cars or feel heavier when going around corners. I noticed I can obtain a higher speed on the same corner in the M5 than the SL65 (yes I tried it). Straight line they are great and hard top convertable is great to have.
Thanks for the info. I don't take my m5 to the track or drag it, so that shouldn't matter that much. I'm just looking for a comfortable, fast, fun car that I can drive daily like I do my m5 without huge complications.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
The SL65 is probably the better daily driver

Thanks for the info. I don't take my m5 to the track or drag it, so that shouldn't matter that much. I'm just looking for a comfortable, fast, fun car that I can drive daily like I do my m5 without huge complications.
And the M5 the better track car. Benzes will never be as much 'fun' as BMWs but they are close. The proof is in the choice of trannys. It's almost impossible to find stick shift Benzes or even DCT.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm just looking for a comfortable, fast, fun car that I can drive daily like I do my m5 without huge complications.
Depends how you define your "fun".
Some people may place more emphasis on straight line thrust.
Others enjoy that brief moment of connectivity you get when taking that hairpin turn.
Or a combination of both.

From everything I've read, the SL65 would be totally lacking in the handling department.
But if all you want is straight line speed and sofa chair comfort, the xx65 is a very competent car.
You need to actually drive the cars and decide for yourself...

·
Registered
258 Posts
to mee it sounds like anything xx65 is better suited for you. if you are looking for an super soft comfy ride, with balls all day long, then i think its time to trade in the m5. BUT your last word was complications.. i think you will get more of that going with a MB.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Depends how you define your "fun".
Some people may place more emphasis on straight line thrust.
Others enjoy that brief moment of connectivity you get when taking that hairpin turn.
Or a combination of both.

From everything I've read, the SL65 would be totally lacking in the handling department.
But if all you want is straight line speed and sofa chair comfort, the xx65 is a very competent car.
You need to actually drive the cars and decide for yourself...
Thank you for your input. I think I will have to test drive one to make a final decision. Thanks guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts