BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, now that it's warming up (especially for all us southerners), its time to recheck those tire pressures! Mine were up all the way up to 46 psi when I normally run 40 at all corners...

- Randall

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I just slapped the summer tires back in.. I was looking at the sticker to see what should I fill them up to and it said 44...it seemed a bit high so i just filled them up to 37.

Also, a bit of an unrelated question: Is it ok to store tires sitting upright? Will this warp them if they're stored for a few months? Or is it best to just pile them laying flat on the ground with the wheel facing up?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diny, that's probably the max inflation pressure. 37psi is a good comfy number...

As for tire storage, they don't really weigh enough themselves to deform. I would think laying them flat would be ideal, but I would just store them however they fit best in the garage/basement.

- Randall

·
Registered
220 Posts
Tire pressure

Very timely...I am about to embark on my first ///M5 road trip. Can i simply check the pressure and add air if necessary without messing with the tire pressure warning system..wich I am not so familiar with so far. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Very timely...I am about to embark on my first ///M5 road trip. Can i simply check the pressure and add air if necessary without messing with the tire pressure warning system..wich I am not so familiar with so far. Thanks.
When in doubt, perouse the manual!

RDW monitors the tire pressure at all four wheels – even while you are driving. The system provides an alert whenever the inflation pressure drops significantly below the specified pressure in one or more tires.

In order for the system to "learn" the correct tire inflation pressure, check the inflation pressure in all tires according to the inflation pressure table beginning on page 26 and make corrections as necessary. Then activate the system.

The Check Control (refer to page 73) will inform you if the tire pressure is not correct.

Activate the system
1 Turn the ignition key to position 2 (do not start the engine).
2 Press and hold the button (arrow) until the message "SET TIRE PRESSURE" is displayed for a few seconds in the Check Control.
3 After you have driven a few minutes, RDW transfers the current tire inflation pressures as the nominal values to be monitored.

You will only have to repeat this procedure following a correction of the tire inflation pressure. Otherwise, the system is automatically activated in ignition key position 2 and therefore whenever the vehicle is driven.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Activate the system
1 Turn the ignition key to position 2 (do not start the engine).
2 Press and hold the button (arrow) until the message "SET TIRE PRESSURE" is displayed for a few seconds in the Check Control.
3 After you have driven a few minutes, RDW transfers the current tire inflation pressures as the nominal values to be monitored.
Actually, step zero is to buckle your seat belt first. If you don't, all you will see in the display is "Fasten Seatbelt". After step 2, do not turn ignition off but go directly to start, and then keep engine running and drive car 5-10 min.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I just had mine rechecked ensuring 32 cold all around for my Vegas trip...:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
wow.... I never run at 32, always 40 (GY GSD3's) I did run as low as 35 with PS2's
That is 32 cold, should equate to close to something shy of 40 hot.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
running at 40psi my rears only lasted 16k miles :eek:

or maybe that was because of my heavy foot

·
Registered
814 Posts
tires

seems like it all depends on what kind of tires you got on.. I find that I run lower number with Continental and Michelins... with Toyo I have to run very high to get the same handling as the other tires...

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Didn't want to open another thread.

I'm running 19"s. Should I still follow the recommended PSI that the owners manual suggest? Open to suggestions and opinions, My driving is usually mild for the street and spirited for the Highway.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Also running 19"'s. But tyre pressure seem to be something that evereybody has a different opinion abt. Would be nice with some kind of consensus: 18"-19"-20" summer and wintertyres etc.

·
Registered
91 Posts
After step 2, do not turn ignition off but go directly to start, and then keep engine running and drive car 5-10 min.
Curious as to why you say that, as the owner's manual doesn't say anything about not turning the ignition off.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I am running 36 psi f&b on my Michelin PS2s and am very pleased with the ride handling and wear. 6,200 miles on them now and not quite half worn. Everyone tells me they wear faster at the end. I tried 39 psi for a while and the ride was noticably harsher with little difference in handling, then I tried 32 psi and the cornering felt a little sloppier with a tendency to get loose on sharp corners. 36psi seems to please my car and my rear end.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
this thread is still alive - - it started in 2008 in the spring - - well, check those tire pressures - - temperatures are fallin...

now back to PS 2's and still 40psi cold all 4 - - seems OK for me...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts