BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you want to put a lot less miles on your M5. I recently bought a used 2005 Mini S, and I'm telling you, this thing is a riot to drive. It's like driving a go cart on steriods. I got this thing on a whim a week ago, and the M has been in the garage ever since. I've not been too careful with the Mini and it is getting 24 MPG in town. I don't drive a lot of miles so MPG isn't that big of deal to me. Build quality on the Mini is quite good. In my research, I found the 2005 and up to be improved over the older ones. If you want to preserve your M for posterity, go get a MINI! Mine is red/black with black hood stripes. The car is so dam cute, every time you see it it makes you laugh:blabla:.

Rick

·
Registered
252 Posts
i was thinking about getting one too for my next second car. Its just so hard to let go of the 98 Honda Accord cause it refused to die, the Honda got 232,000 miles and I just did a compression test on it and everything is champ about it.

·
Registered
864 Posts
yeah they are great cars. I'm considering getting one. last year I was at an autocross and a guy with a silver and black one was beating up on corvettes, evos and even an m6 vert. That car whipping through the cone with lighting speed. have fun with it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
my dear old mother is talking about trading in her Lexus GX470 for one, and I'm pushing her hard to get it... I'm looking forward to playing with it!

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I cant help to think I'm gonna look like a damned fool getting in and out of it (I'm 6'2")

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yup, they're a blast...my niece has one (spoiled brat)...might be a good idea to pick one up especially with gas prices where they're at...got a 100mile roundtrip commute and its gettin ridiculous at the pumps on the 5 (had to start carpooling with the wife).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Diny,
I'm 6' 2" as well, and the car is actually quite big inside. You'll look just fine getting in and out of it, especially when you drive by the gas stations and just wave. A friend of mine is 6' 5", and he liked the car, but said he would never fit in one. I said "want to bet?" I put the seat all the way back and down (it has an up and down lever as well) and he had do move the seat up about an inch to work the clutch properly.

Rick

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Hmm, doesnt sound so bad. It seems like a nice choice for daily driver, should I decide to give the M5 a rest (even though I love it as my daily driver).

How are maintenance costs?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm also thinking about getting a mini S as a second car within the next year or two. My wife wants to trade in her X3 for one. I have always liked them (small, tight and fast). Especially after seeing the Italian Job.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Diny,
I'm 6' 2" as well, and the car is actually quite big inside. You'll look just fine getting in and out of it, especially when you drive by the gas stations and just wave. A friend of mine is 6' 5", and he liked the car, but said he would never fit in one. I said "want to bet?" I put the seat all the way back and down (it has an up and down lever as well) and he had do move the seat up about an inch to work the clutch properly.

Rick
im6'1 an i got 1 its a beautiful fun ride an fast.:applause:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
This thread reminds me of a fellow coworker. He is always vascillating between extremes....2+ ton behemoth luxoboats, trucks, SUV's & the tiniest sport econoboxes. Right now he's all excited about a supercharged Seville....last year it was a Mazda 3....before that an Escalade.

When a Mini adds excitement and causes the M5 to become parked, maybe a 3 series would effectively replace both? A bulls-eye works better for me than shooting for the extremes.

I'm sure some guy in a Mini beat a Corvette at an autocross. Autocross is 95% driver. I've seen a Chevy Malibu beat a Porsche. Heck, I've seen Lincoln beat Viper...from the driver's seat lol. The Mini S is not the best choice for autocross FTD, unless the course is set up for full steering lock and speeds under 30 MPH. A Mini driver can surely design a course to beat a Corvette. I prefer higher speed courses that allow the use of 2nd gear lol.

Driving a Mini is almost like riding a motorcycle, except it keeps you dry in the rain. Safety is a real issue. It can not hold it's own when impacting a "substantial" vehicle.

·
Registered
593 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Rented a Mini Cooper S convertible when in holiday in Sydney. Was an absolute riot, especially whizzing in and out of traffic and through the twists and bends of the blue mountains. At one point i drifted the car round a hairpin with my passenger practically in my seat hanging on to their seatbelt. Great laugh!! We did a 3 hour journey in 2.5 hours haha!! :biggrinbounce:

Only problem is now the girlfriend wants one for her next birthday! :eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I had a mini cooper S (only girls buy non-S minis :hihihi:) and it is a fun little car. We took one road trip in it, and SWMBO was not a happy camper at the end of that. Bit of a stiff ride. I got tired of not being seen in traffic and sold it after 5 months of ownwership. It was a pseudo-impulse buy, although I did order mine to get exactly what I wanted. Gas mileage was better than the beast, but at 26 or so not all that sterling. F&F was BMW-excellent, people thought it was cute but all my friends said that it wasn't "me".

If you want a fun car to drive while the beast is parked, buy a Porsche.

Michael

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lscman,

There is no comparison between driving a Mini and a Motorcycle (I've had one for 15 years) as far as safety goes. You are surrounded by airbags in the Mini, including side bags that pop out of the side of the front seats. Last I heard, the Mini is rated #1 in safety for small cars. Would I rather be in the M5 if I was T-boned by a Hummer? Absolutely.

I never said I didn't want to drive my M5 anymore. I was just relaying my experience with the Mini, which I still say is a riot to drive. I am lucky enough to have both for now. I don't care for the size of the 3 series for me any more. I had a 98 M3 for eight years. Maybe I have a short attention span, but I enjoy the driving experiece of many cars.

I never touted the Mini as God's gift to auto cross, although I've heard they are a bunch of fun for this. If you thought my sharing the experience of the Mini was meant to be a slam on the M5, I assure you it wasn't. I really like my M5. For me, all of my cars hit the bullseye on any given daylovelove.

Rick

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Lscman....I never said I didn't want to drive my M5 anymore. I was just relaying my experience with the Mini...
Rick, the other Rick is just stirring the pot a bit.. :haha:

Dave

1 - 20 of 30 Posts