BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys, just got through the pics from the track day i did recently at donnington. Find attached. Apologies for the quality of some, my scanner's a pile of poo.

Overall was a great day, albeit that it rained for a bit.

Main issue was the brakes, which i constantly had to nurse. Im seriously looking at some AP Racing 6 pots for the next event.

You realise on the track that the beast has so much power, i was catching a 355 along the straight, (wont mention the corners ouich )

Cost for the day was £180 via www.bmwcarclubgb.co.uk which is a bargain considering its 1/2 hr on, 1/2 hr off all day, and therefore traffic is v low.

anyway, enjoy the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some more.....

Attachments

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Great stuff Foxy - you need big brakes if you're going to track the car. RogBacon's got some lovely AP racing ones on his (as do a number of other members). If you want to spend serious money, check out Tin's Brembos!

Sorry I won't be able to make it on Saturday - hope to see you soon :cheers:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeh, my main issue is the wheels, i wanna stay stock, best i think is either the stoptech or the same as rog's. I need to see his in the flesh

cheers

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
foxyboym5 said:
yeh, my main issue is the wheels, i wanna stay stock, best i think is either the stoptech or the same as rog's. I need to see his in the flesh

cheers
wow! nice pics piers.. looks like good fun!

you can also get the brembo four corner setup, which fits under the stock oem wheels, with the use of 3mm spacers.. might be worth looking at.. DaveZ's the man to speak to!

Regarding fitting etc, the chap (stuart) who did mine could help out, if he isn't too busy.. highly recommended and pretty local too (west london).

Cheers
Tin

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers fella, my old man's got an MOT garage so fitting should be cheap :hihi:

Brembo's are pricier than AP i believe...i think those AP's will be the choice...also looking at the stoptechs

cheers mate

·
Registered
616 Posts
Nice pics - I lik the first of your beast!

Will definitely consider the next event at Donnington - rumour has it Rog and Tin are considering being out at Nurburgring in the new year.... maybe a board meeting out there... :)

I would certainly speak to Dr Zeckhausen STBBK - for the BBKs and look into his StopTech 4 brake kit along with my ACS Type-II Splitties... :biggrin:

I can get 19" ACS Type-II splitties - "as new" set of four - no tyres for about 13/1400....

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Úbermensch said:
make sure your 'old man' puts them on properly, unlike that guy in the CSL whose (AP Racing?) discs appear to be on the wrong side..

edit-
well spotted, the veins are supposed to go the other way right?

·
Banned
386 Posts
beautiful cars and nice pics...

·
Registered
4 Posts
foxyboym5 said:
hey guys, just got through the pics from the track day i did recently at donnington. Find attached. Apologies for the quality of some, my scanner's a pile of poo.

Overall was a great day, albeit that it rained for a bit.

Main issue was the brakes, which i constantly had to nurse. Im seriously looking at some AP Racing 6 pots for the next event.

You realise on the track that the beast has so much power, i was catching a 355 along the straight, (wont mention the corners ouich )

Cost for the day was £180 via www.bmwcarclubgb.co.uk which is a bargain considering its 1/2 hr on, 1/2 hr off all day, and therefore traffic is v low.

anyway, enjoy the pics.
Hi Foxy,

sorry to spoil the illusion, i was the one with the 355. I am not surprized you were catching me on the straights as I was warned by the marshals that I was too noisy and I could only rev to 5000rpm from the 8500 available. The355 is also very unresponsive at low revs as peak torque comes in @ a high 6,000 rpm.

This was the second time that I have been to donnington and this is the only track that tells me I am loud (happened both times) :( . Considering that I have a standard exhaust I am positive their equipment is wrong. Speaking to a few friends about this as well on the day, they were surrised as there were a couple of CSLs that were WAY louder than me !!!

Anyway, on the last 2 sessions I just did not care if they black flagged me, so I used the whole rev range and had sme good fun finally :D

By the way, was it you driving on the first session where I over took you on the back straight and completely and very embarassingly misjudged the grip and my breking point and went straight at the chicane ? I was using all the revs then (i.e before my warning) and I was margianlly faster up the gears in the straights and I felt substantially quicker on the corners.

I really actually wanted to ask for a ride in one of the 2 M5s but didn't bring myself to ask. I am considering buying a 2001 car and I would love to be in one on a track.

Cheers
Philip

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
hahah, brilliant, welcome to the board, man. Go on, rain on my parade!! :2:

Sad about the noise, understand about the revs in the 355.

The CSL was way louder than yours, but the ferrari tone can have a very penetrating sound which maybe decibel-wise is louder...my dad had a 348 with a Tubi and that was loud!!

It was a cool day once the track dried out, i recall seeing you plough straight on at that chicane :sad2:

You should have asked me for a ride (in exchange for one in the 355 :hihihi: )

catcha at the next one hopefully mate
cheers
Piers

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cheers fella, great pix, shame i missed that one.

Standard M5 discs are 345mm, the AP ones that fit the 18" standard rims are 343mm, basically same as standard, i think thats what i'll be going for as reluctant to divert from the standard M5 look.

cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Piers,

I'll make sure to take you up on the passenger ride offer next time round and of course you are more than welme to come with me too. I was invited to Donnington this time by some fantastic people I met at the Nordscleife earlier this year, who are members of the club. I hope to get the opportunity to come to another BMW track day next year.

Speaking of the Nordscleife I am off agian this weekend for my final track days of the year (the ring and Spa). Saturday just can't come quickly enough :D :D :D

Wizzkid,

Thanks for the welcome and hi to all :byebye: . I have been reading this board for a few months now due to my interest in getting an M5. I am also a member of the ferrarichat.com board. Funilly enough I had not realized this was my first post here ouich. Since i post on the fchat site at the same time as I read the posts here it felt like I had already posted in both. Clearly it feels like a cosy and friendly place !

Cheers
Philip

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome Philip :byebye:

Not that many blue 355's around - I've only ever seen red ones :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Ashok !

Thanks for the welcome. If you have not seen the TDF (Tour de France) Blue you have missed out. It is the best colour, although I may be a bit biassed ;)

I will try and attach my car @ the ring with a DB9 next to it .. I hope it works ??????

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts