BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned previously, I went to DP on Friday - weather was good for the am session but started to rain lightly pm.
here was the day..
got there for the 8:30am briefing then picked a pit garage to prepare for the 9am start - open pit lane so no limits.
My race driver friend took the wheel to show me the lines etc - he normally races single seater and replica D-Type Jags in various circuits in DP.
Sport on - DSC off all the way. We were taking it easy since he was showing me stuff - how to drift the car to get optimum grip for blasting off corners/bends, correct lines and turning points etc.
Back into the pits and it was my turn.
Had a great session including coming down Craners Curve at full speed.
There were 2 Lambo Gallardos, 2 M3 CSLs, 2 M3s , Supra, Radical, Older Porsches, Elises. BMW 645i, Old M3 evo (not E36) plus the trackday touring car type cars.
At one stage, my friend was driving again not at the limits when we had one of the track day instructors in the Vectra Touring spec car coming behind us, my friend moved over then decided, hey lets see whats happens if I give the beast a go....., we started to race the instructor around the circuit - we were not far behind the guys though the understeer was not helping us on the bends - we tended to catch the guy around the tricky bends - especially down Craners curve we were flat out - tend to catch most cars (driver skill)- ultimately the chap moved over for us to go past him plus he had slicks on - yeah - I can only imagine the feeling in their car...,
Next into the pits again - my turn... I was very suprised how quickly I caught the other cars.
Had a close shave with a porsche but overall a great day.

Some pics will be attached soon.
Cheers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Its a good track. I live 20 mins away, and funnily enough, i have never been. The closest i get is the massive market next door on a sunday :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Donny is a nice circuit although I've never done it the M5.

I know you didn't time yourself (!) but what do think your lap time was?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The brakes were ok since we did rest after 3-4 laps - plus we were not pushing it to full all the time - was there to learn the line and balance.
We still did catch up on cars that passed us - by using the correct lines especially coming down Craner Curve.
The M5 has great balance and that shows on corners - the grunt is good on the straight where we had no problem catching or closing gaps.
I did not time the laps - this being my first time - perhaps the next time - we are looking to go to the Bedford Autodrome next.

Cheers.
I will post the pics very soon.

·
Registered
947 Posts
i think the better the driver you are and the better lines you take, the less the brakes get caned....probably my issue as was first time on track in the beast so was wary about carrying too much through the corners.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts