BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the 3.62 E46 M3 ring and pinion with a shorter set (3.91) from an E34 M5 in my 210mm M5 LSD rear and wanted to double check the shopping list before I order.

As a bit of background, I rebuilt the entire differential (and I mean everything) approx 10k miles ago. New bearings and races on both sides of the pinion, as well as both sides of the carrier. New input/output seals, o-rings, crush sleeve, clutches/discs, carrier lid bolts, etc.

I will be replacing the ring gear bolts as well as pressing in new ring gear sleeves that allow me to use the smaller 12mm bolts in the 14mm bolt holes of the E39 M5 carrier. Obviously I'll need a new crush sleeve and input seal.

Since the pinion bearings only have 10K on them, do I need to replace those? I have had no noise or issues in the time they've been in there. I understand that sometimes races get banged up on removal, so I want to know in advance to grab them or not.

Anything else while I have her skirt up? :cheers: :M5launch: cherrsagai

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I would replace the pinion bearings, odds are that the current ones will be damaged on the way out and they are not very expensive. I would also be prepared to check the backlash and pinion depth, most of the time it will be fine but you never know.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I planned on having a local shop set up pinion preload and backlash for me anyways. They were the ones that did it for me last spring and did a nice job. Besides, I can't be bothered to put down my beer for long enough to pick up a dial indicator anyhow.

So over to Rockauto:

TIMKEN Part # HM89410 Rear Outer (Race)

TIMKEN Part # HM803110 Rear Inner (Race)

TIMKEN Part # HM89448 Rear Outer (Bearing)

TIMKEN Part # HM803149 Rear Inner (Bearing)

For an input shaft seal, Rockauto uses TIMKEN Part # 223520. Info page there says OEM P/N 33121212197.

RealOem for an 02ish M5 shows 33121213949.

I wonder if they're the same. I am assuming BMW has used the same crap on the large case diffs since the Disco Era, maybe with a few revisions here and there.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I planned on having a local shop set up pinion preload and backlash for me anyways. They were the ones that did it for me last spring and did a nice job. Besides, I can't be bothered to put down my beer for long enough to pick up a dial indicator anyhow.

So over to Rockauto:

TIMKEN Part # HM89410 Rear Outer (Race)

TIMKEN Part # HM803110 Rear Inner (Race)

TIMKEN Part # HM89448 Rear Outer (Bearing)

TIMKEN Part # HM803149 Rear Inner (Bearing)

For an input shaft seal, Rockauto uses TIMKEN Part # 223520. Info page there says OEM P/N 33121212197.

RealOem for an 02ish M5 shows 33121213949.

I wonder if they're the same. I am assuming BMW has used the same crap on the large case diffs since the Disco Era, maybe with a few revisions here and there.
You don't have your parts list saved from last year? What's it say in my diff rebuild thread? I think I posted the part numbers I used. My seals aren't leaking after 60,000 miles so they must work. :dunno: Either that or all the fluid leaked out years ago. :cheers:

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not with a T56 transmission. :crying:
The wheelie bars and gun rack go in next week.

You don't have your parts list saved from last year? What's it say in my diff rebuild thread? I think I posted the part numbers I used. My seals aren't leaking after 60,000 miles so they must work. :dunno: Either that or all the fluid leaked out years ago. :cheers:

I will have to take a peek. Mine wasn't a standard rebuild because I was using an E46 M3 ring and pinion, so there was some confusion as to whether I should look up parts for the M3 or the M5. It's been so long that I forgot. I'll look up parts for both and see if there's any difference. (as well as for an E34 M5 which the new set is out of)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts