BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My only set of keys are sitting in the trunk, doors are locked, alarm is armed.

I searched the forums, but didn't come up with much, besides most saying a locksmith is useless, and to get a new key from a BMW dealer, none of which are open on Sunday.

If anyone knows of a way, please let me know, PM is fine if you dont want to post the info.

Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just spoke to a dealer yesterday about getting an extra key, basically it is a one or two business day turnaround - so submit order Monday, key by Tues maybe - have you hit the usual suspects - AAA or BMW Roadside Assistance.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Same thing happened to me years ago at work. I called AAA and they were unable to open the any of the doors. I ended up going having to go home and get the spare key to open the trunk. I would have to agree with britM3 and say order a key if you don't have a spare. Good luck.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
If it were me, I would buy more than one key ... for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
How is this possible? You can only lock the car with the key. The only way I can think of is that you used the key fob to open the trunk only, after the car was locked and alarm was set, then threw the key into the trunk and shut the lid. I think that's the only way. Is that what happened?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How is this possible? You can only lock the car with the key. The only way I can think of is that you used the key fob to open the trunk only, after the car was locked and alarm was set, then threw the key into the trunk and shut the lid. I think that's the only way. Is that what happened?
Pretty much, the car was locked, and I was working on removing the DSP amp, I had a handful of tools and misc parts in my hands, set them in the trunk, including my keys.

I was doing some work, it started to rain, I closed the trunk, and immediately: "oh Sh--"

I just called a locksmith, we'll see what they say when they get here.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The locksmith was able to get the car open by pulling on the door handle inside (the lock button did nothing), then I folded the rear seat down and grabbed my keys.

Cost: $139

Chalk it up as a learning experience I guess. Thanks for the responses guys, I'll definately be ordering a spare set of keys.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The locksmith was able to get the car open by pulling on the door handle inside (the lock button did nothing), then I folded the rear seat down and grabbed my keys.

Cost: $139

Chalk it up as a learning experience I guess. Thanks for the responses guys, I'll definately be ordering a spare set of keys.
Yeah, really not a huge deal, but this thread reminds me to get an extra key. I only have one as well.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Is there a DOOR set of keys avail for the car? Don't necessarily need to start the car, or have remote capability. Just unlock the doors incase keys get locked in...
I know with my Corvette I could get a credit card sized key made from AAA, would get me into car.. anyone know if they have simular for the M5?
Matt

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Glad you got this resolved.

For future reference, any car can be opened from the inside, whether locked or not by either pulling the door handle, or unlocking and then pulling the door handle.

Admittedly an assumption on my part, but it never occured to me that your car was locked and the windows were down...

d-

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Glad you got this resolved.

For future reference, any car can be opened from the inside, whether locked or not by either pulling the door handle, or unlocking and then pulling the door handle.

Admittedly an assumption on my part, but it never occured to me that your car was locked and the windows were down...

d-

Please don't tell me the windows were DOWN:rolleyes:..I had assumed that the locksmith got the handle open with windows up by going around the rubber seal...............
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can be pretty dumb sometimes, but even that's a stretch for me.

He went around the seals, they should be fine

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
So your locksmith has a tool that is flexible enough to go around the edge of the window, but still stiff enough to pull the door handle inward (as opposed to up, which is easy)?

I'm having a hard time picturing how this worked , can you describe it for me? Did he not go through the top of the window?

d-

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
he used two inflatable balloon thingies, one at the top of the door, one at the side, giving a bit of room at the top corner to get a rod inside and pop the handle.

He may have rubbed against the seals, but it didn't have any pressure on it from the doors, so the seals should be ok.

I'll also add the alarm went off after the rod went into the inside a couple feet.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
You're lucky your back seats weren't locked, either!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts